Smoked bratwurst? Beer boiled?

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For years my bratwurst has been grilled over gas and served on a toasted bun with spicy mustard and chopped onions. Nothing fancy, just a glorified hotdog. Very tasty I think but not the only way.

How do other brethren do brats?

Last edited:
mine are pretty basic. Boil in beer until cooked through then onto the grill to crisp up the skin. Top with mustard and caramelized or grilled onions.

What is the deal with cooking in beer? Does it impart a certain flavor, or does everyone just have beer on hand?

I prefer to go the other direction: 1) Put a pan with onions to the side of the grill to soften and then add beer - 2) grill the brats -3) then move the brats to the beer onion bath to hold. This way you rehydrate the brat a bit and you get the bonus of some nice beer soaked onions to put on top.

I don't think beer flavor penetrates casing.
I indirect grill mine and finish last minute or so over direct heat.

What is the deal with cooking in beer? Does it impart a certain flavor, or does everyone just have beer on hand?
Actually a good question. I'm not really sure it adds anything. Might get the same result with water. I have just always done it that way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don't think beer flavor penetrates casing.
I indirect grill mine and finish last minute or so over direct heat.

cook with something real hoppy, you'll see

i am partial to arrogant bastard brats but many prefer porter. Ideally, smoke them with some beer in a cast-iron flipping once. Inside on a sheet pan in the oven works the same. broil if they need to be crisped up

I grill a little first, then into the beer and finish on the grill one more time

I like to poach the brats over cider for a while, then I pull the brats over to the indirect side of the grill & add in onions and senf to the cider (good stir). Cook that down for a while until it reduces to a nice sauce/paste.

Give the brats a nice, quick char (mainly for markings and to crisp up the casing) on all sides.

Slather a sliced & halved roll (good crusty brotchen if available) with the onion/cider/mustard mix - insert brat, and slather a bit more.

Cold bier or cider.

Devour.

Just my crazy musings and strange tendencies.

I miss German Fests...

On gas grill days, I generally boil in an inexpensive lager with sliced onions, finish over flame. The boil takes enough fat out the brats don't flare up.
On smoker days, they're in the cook chamber 45 minutes or so, then a quick reverse sear.

I like to poach the brats over cider for a while, then I pull the brats over to the indirect side of the grill & add in onions and senf to the cider (good stir). Cook that down for a while until it reduces to a nice sauce/paste.

Give the brats a nice, quick char (mainly for markings and to crisp up the casing) on all sides.

Slather a sliced & halved roll (good crusty brotchen if available) with the onion/cider/mustard mix - insert brat, and slather a bit more.

Cold bier or cider.

Devour.

Just my crazy musings and strange tendencies.

I miss German Fests...

I always hate buying premade stuff, but got this on a whim the other week and it's GOOD- https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Boy-Natural-BBQ-Mustard/dp/B00ACERLL0
s-l400.jpg

Nice habanero flavor in it but it's not too hot

forgot to mention but i smoke from frozen so i can get ~2hrs on them and a much snappier/crispier casing

I prefer cooking them on stove with low heat and maybe a splash of water. This seems to keep the casing tender. I will brown after. I found when I grill or smoke it can make the casings tuff in a bad way. Unlike a nice snap found on different sausages or hot dogs

I usually smoke then grill, but I broiled in beer then grilled for the first time last week. I think they retained more juice, but beer definitely didn’t impart any flavor into the brat.

I just grill em. I prefer em plain.
A brat is not a glorified hotdog.

-D

I do it alittle differently. I grill them 1st and to doneness. Right before I poor cold beer over each one. As the brat contracts as it cools rapidly it pulls some beer in. And yes you can taste the flavor. Delicious.

I do it alittle differently. I grill them 1st and to doneness. Right before I poor cold beer over each one. As the brat contracts as it cools rapidly it pulls some beer in. And yes you can taste the flavor. Delicious.

That sounds almost like my method.

1. I grill them to doneness and put them in a bun with German mustard.

2. I put them in my mouth and pour in cold beer.

This method really brings out the beer flavor.

Back