• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Chicken Practice Pics

Ryan Chester

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I decided to practice my competition chicken during the Vikings vs. Saints game (not a good idea). Brett Farve is my favorite player and the game was super tight so needless to say, I wasn't paying much attention to my chicken. Everything went as planned except for me saucing them too early (thanks to the game). Skin was bite through and flavor was on point so I can't wait for the first competition of the year to see if we can score better in this category than last year. This was my first run at The Rub Co.'s new Competition Style Rub which should come out in the next couple months and was very pleased.

Rubbed & Ready
photo6-2.jpg

Close up
photo5-3.jpg

Just hit the grate
photo4-3.jpg

After about 45 minutes
photo3-4.jpg

Sauced
photo2-4.jpg

Bite through money shot.
photo1-2.jpg

Thats some fine lookin chicken. The top pics look great and it's not even cooked yet.

CAUTION NEWBIE QUESTION CAUTION NEWBIE QUESTION

The toothpicks are to hold the skin uniformly in place for presentation purposes correct?

Thanks guys!

Sawyerrt10 - Yes the tooth picks are to hold the skin in place. I typically do not use them but since I did not take the time to trim the thighs down nice and pretty so the skins were a tad small and I had to use them.

Last edited:
CAUTION NEWBIE QUESTION CAUTION NEWBIE QUESTION

The toothpicks are to hold the skin uniformly in place for presentation purposes correct?

Yes. Must make 100% certain to remove them (completely) before
placing the chicken in the turn-in box. Otherwise, should the judge
get a bite of toothpick; good night....

I think you are need of an off-season judge to taste these to give you some scores. Yeah, I am volunteering my services. Nice job!!!!!

cool thanks! Chicken is not my strong suit, gonna be working on it a lot before i even think about attempting a comp!

Do alot of people do the muffin pan or is it just a result from pitmasters?

chicken looks a little gritty.meaning sauce or rub.as a judge don`t really care for that but very uniform on the pieces if it is a 9 taste with a good box and tender you win good luck.

Back