2 butts, 2 firsts

ironmanerik

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First try at sausage, used my grandmothers recipe. Her recipe called for 10 tbl of salt I started with 2. Divided it in half then added cayenne to one half.

P8210893.jpg

P8210895.jpg

The other first is pork burnt ends, taking the IT to 160* then dice the butt into 1 inch chunks. Decided to make a broth with the bone from the sausage butt as the liquid for the burnt ends. Added bay leaves, a little rub, and some crushed red pepper as the broth was reducing.

P8210894.jpg

P8210896.jpg

P8210897.jpg

Pulled the sausage at 170*. If I had bought the sausage they would be ok, but my first attempt and grandmas recipe they are.........ok, not great but the recipe will get tweaked and we'll see what happens. The butts IT is 138*.

The sausage looks good, i bet you'll get the recipe tweaked quickly. Nice job so far. Looking forward to,seeing the pork burnt ends...

Sausage looks great for a first go.

I don't know what 2 tbs are as far as weight, but generally you should be aiming for around 2%, so for each kg you're doing about 20 grams of salt. Don't skimp on salt, it helps the proteins bind correctly.

And speaking of binding correctly, one of the most important things I learned when I first started making sausage was the "primary bind". Everything should be well incorporated/mixed, but you're reconfiguring the meat protein strands to allow the sausage to "set" when cooked. Otherwise, it can be dry and crumbly (i.e. disgusting).

I also add a little additional fat too - lots of today's pork is too lean (even shoulder)...

Happy stuffing! Look forward to more pics.

Back