What's the target temperature for a pork shoulder?

BKish25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a new digital meat thermometer I'm going to be using with my smoker. I thought I'd try it out on a pork shoulder for starters. Just wondering what the temperature should be when it's done.

190 - 205 depending on the particular piece of meat and the cook temp. Internal temp is not a reliable indicator that butt is done. Look for the bone to wiggle freely or your probe to slide in with little to no resistance in a few spots.

195-198* at my House cuz we prefer Chopped vs Pulled. I like it just before meat wants to pull/shred. Just a lil taste n texture difference..........

~200 for Pulled Pork - The bone will be very loose and you can pull it out with your hand.

160-170 ? for Sliced Pork - I have never sliced a pork butt, so I am not positive on this one.

I just read another source that said 180-185 for sliced?

Last edited:
How about if is boneless?

I would check it when it gets to 195. When the probe slides in with little to no resistance, it is done.

I don,t know where you get your pork but mine comes with a free dog treat in it like a prize in a box of Crackerjacks. Call it Crackofbutt:icon_smile_tongue:

Last edited:
I like mine just shy of burning my mouth. I'm not sure what that actual temp. is though.:tape:

depends on what I am doing, if pulled pork I start checking at 190 until the bone wiggles easily. If I am slicing them I usually pull them at 160 and rest them before slicing.

Interesting topic. I cooked 4 the other day within a pound of each other. Two were 196, 1 was 190, and the other was 180. All three probed the same and the bone pulled right out. Ya just never know!

When the bone wiggles out check the IT of the meat, that's the temp when it's done. Just don't count on it being the same every time you cook a butt!:wink:

Just to throw a little something different in the mix - Phubar cooked some excellent pork shoulder last week and only took it to around 140 (I can't remember if he seared after or before that temp). Obviously it was sliced rather than pulled. It was Pharking amazing - tender, juicy, PhlavorPhul - all that.

I go for 201 since that has worked well the past few cooks, but it's true -- you never know for sure, and you have to be flexible on temps. As someone said, it's done when it's done. That's what makes BBQ and art and a science.

I cooked an 8 pounder a month or so ago and the bone was in the extreme edge. So I was worried about the wiggling of said bone. When it wiggled, I kinda pinched the opposite end. It was firm and the chunk seemed to want to pull and shred, so I called it done. It was perfect, best I''ve ever done.

Back