Music City Nashville TN comp

Dragline

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just wondering if any Brothers out there cook this comp, if so from where the fairgrounds are to downtown is it walking distance or are there shuttles services or just taxis
big Thanks!

I don't know about shuttles but the fairgrounds are about four or five miles from town. In the past the competition has been downtown on the riverfront and included a big concert and vendors. It was quite an event for spectators. I'm surprised they changed the venue. :sad:

Just checked the Google machine . The competition is downtown on the river, not at the fairgrounds. :thumb:

Better check with the organizer I think it seen moved to the fairgrounds. Entry costs are to high anyway.

Better check with the organizer I think it seen moved to the fairgrounds. Entry costs are to high anyway.

Are those the usual entry fees for KCBS and MBN? I thought the backyard entry fee was kind of steep especially it being per category. It's a lower overall entry cost doing KCBS or MBN than the backyard.

I think the rationale is your getting eight or so admissions to the concerts as well as the competition.

The concerts are not the reasons most go to a contest. I he needs to sell tickets to a concert that should be an option. It isn't a draw for me that's for sure. An the location this year is defeniatly not a draw either.

I live South of Nashville and we cook this event. We will be cooking it again this year. A few comments, based on the above comments.

Entry is either KCBS or MBN. You can add one or the other, for a $50. But the base entry, before electric, porta-potties, expanded space or anything butt, or extra stuff is $375 BEFORE July 23. After, it jumps to $500. I will tell you that our team is looking at $1025 in fees alone, but we're entertaining Friday night.

It was previously at downtown, but was kinda of a mess. This should be a better contest location. At least we hope it is.

If you're around, look up No Pig Deal and say hello.

I went ahead and sent in the KCBS entry $$$ and they have cashed the check. The frustration has been that I've emailed, called, left voice mail, and even texts. Nothing. I was hoping to find out a bit of the layout, facilities, etc.

You're right about it being a pricey entry fee.

Barefoot, i replied to your pm. but, it's a new venue, so they may not have the layout worked out. BUT..it has to be better then downtown. teams were crammed in parking lots and along streets and parking sucked. it cost me $40 to park my truck.

Any suggestions concerning hotels near the fairgrounds? The two closest are booked. Just booked a room at the Red Roof Inn, but it's pricey for them, right at $100 bucks a night. We will not be there until Friday morning, hopefully we can get our trailer in the spot. Bad thing is our truck will have to be off site somewhere if we want to be able to go anywhere on Saturday night. Normally sleep in the truck.

Any other advice on places to eat on Saturday night would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Any suggestions concerning hotels near the fairgrounds? The two closest are booked. Just booked a room at the Red Roof Inn, but it's pricey for them, right at $100 bucks a night. We will not be there until Friday morning, hopefully we can get our trailer in the spot. Bad thing is our truck will have to be off site somewhere if we want to be able to go anywhere on Saturday night. Normally sleep in the truck.

Any other advice on places to eat on Saturday night would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,
If you go south a little bit, on 65, there are hotels. At the Old Hickory Exit there is a Hampton Inn, Residence Inn and a Four Point, all nice hotels. It's about 8 miles or 15 minutes drive. Plus, it should be a little cheaper. And an easy drive.

What do you like to eat? Look for restaurants in the West End or the Gulch. I can give you lots of choices, depends on what you want and how casual you want to go.

I think they are allowing you to park a vehicle, pretty close to the BBQ area. Plus, you can come and go. I think it's a $5 bill to park, but it isn't that clear. I paid $40 downtown last year and couldn't move my truck until Sunday morning.

I hope you have a good experience. But, I'll say it's an extremely poorly run contest, thus far. :mad2:

If you need anything else, you can PM me, or reply here!

Our team is No Pig Deal.

Busy weekend at the Fairgrounds

It looks like that is the same weekend as their monthly flea market. It usually takes up the whole grounds, so I'm not sure where they will put the BBQ festival. They have to seperate it somehow because admission the the flea market is free ($5 parking), but there will be an admission fee for the BBQ festival. The concert stage will probably be on the race track and seating in the grand stands.

This will be my first competition and honestly, the lack of communication with the event staff is ridiculous. My entry fee was processed but no email confirming my entry.

This will be my first competition and honestly, the lack of communication with the event staff is ridiculous. My entry fee was processed but no email confirming my entry.

Speaking of communication, does anyone have a contact number for Brian? The have shut down the application link on their website. I have sent an e-mail, but have not received a reply.

Thanks,

Robert

I just got off the phone with them. Here is the number. (615) 873-0115 Brian is not in the office but I did speak to Frank.

I will be competing in the Backyard Competition. This will also be my first BBQ competition. I have had some trouble getting some answers to a few questions. I sent them to the email address provided by the website but the address is either invalid or blocked. So I am going to ask my questions here and see if maybe someone can shed some light on things. Keep in mind my questions are in regards to the "Backyard Competition" specifically.

1. What will be the size of our area?
2. Does the meat inspection occur early Friday morning during check in? (I am trying to decide if I will have time for a quick brine depending on how early I can get my meat cleared.)
3. Are presentation boxes supplied?
4. Are the presentation boxes to include only lettuce/parsley along with the six portions?
5. Are we required to have fire extinguishers? If so what kind/size?
6. What will be the availability of water be like?
7. Is it possible that there will be any wifi access anywhere at the competition?
8. For the "Pork Butt/Shoulder" category are we allowed to cook only a pork butt and not a complete shoulder?

I will be competing in the Backyard Competition. This will also be my first BBQ competition. I have had some trouble getting some answers to a few questions. I sent them to the email address provided by the website but the address is either invalid or blocked. So I am going to ask my questions here and see if maybe someone can shed some light on things. Keep in mind my questions are in regards to the "Backyard Competition" specifically.

1. What will be the size of our area?
2. Does the meat inspection occur early Friday morning during check in? (I am trying to decide if I will have time for a quick brine depending on how early I can get my meat cleared.)
3. Are presentation boxes supplied?
4. Are the presentation boxes to include only lettuce/parsley along with the six portions?
5. Are we required to have fire extinguishers? If so what kind/size?
6. What will be the availability of water be like?
7. Is it possible that there will be any wifi access anywhere at the competition?
8. For the "Pork Butt/Shoulder" category are we allowed to cook only a pork butt and not a complete shoulder?

1. What will be the size of our area? I think you'll get a 20 X 25 spot.
2. Does the meat inspection occur early Friday morning during check in? (I am trying to decide if I will have time for a quick brine depending on how early I can get my meat cleared.) We're checking in on Thursday, so I'm really hoping they start then. After you setup, I would go find the KCBS rep and have them inspect your meat. It doesn't say you need to wait for them to come to you. Go find them!
3. Are presentation boxes supplied? Yes, You'll get your boxes, either when you get your meat inspected, or at the cooks meeting. Ask your KCBS rep, when they do your meat.
4. Are the presentation boxes to include only lettuce/parsley along with the six portions? Garnish is optional, but some nice, fanned out green lettuce always looks good. Parsley is good, but it takes a lot of work. The regs are clear on what is and is not allow (like no red leaf lettuce, or cilantro). Buy a few nice heads of plain green leaf lettuce and come find us. We'll give you a quick presentation pointer. Or ask a neighbor!
5. Are we required to have fire extinguishers? If so what kind/size? Usually, yes. I have a regular size kitchen one. It's not the little ones, but it's not a huge, wall hanger either. About the size of a big water bottle and maybe 18 in tall?
6. What will be the availability of water be like? You should get both water and electric. Bring a hose, hose nozzle and a splitter. Also, throw in an extension cord and power strip. Also, you can't just let your water drain on the ground. You need a bucket to catch and transport it. Ask the rep, where you can dump, gray (soapy) water. Don't be "that" guy, who rinses chicken, only to watch the water drain into your neighbors spot. Not good. Technically, you need a 3 station wash station. Hot soapy water, Rinse water and sanitizing water (water and a little bleach). 3 homer buckets will do!
7. Is it possible that there will be any wifi access anywhere at the competition? Usually not. I bring a hotspot, or use your phone.
8. For the "Pork Butt/Shoulder" category are we allowed to cook only a pork butt and not a complete shoulder? Shoulder, Boston, Butt.. etc. Go to KCBS and read the regs. They are very helpful.

Back