Gravity feed build pron

"I'm a pretty handy person, done lots of woodworking and designing in sketchup before but this was my first metal project. I write software for a living. :)"

Java, My wife's co-worker is married to a fellow that works at a job in software (Oracle). Funny thing (IMHO), when I went to her company picnic and knew I'd be meeting him for the first time I thought, "this guys going to be so unrelatable to me I'd rather have a root canal than go thru this picnic. As it turned out this guy, like yourself, knew more about handyman skills and guy stuff than anyone there and my wife had to pull us apart from conversation to get me to go home! Funny how far off my perception was from reality. I now understand your precise design but am VERY impressed with your skill to execute! Again, thank you for sharing.

So just a minor update...it doesn't look as clean anymore, but it cooks great! I've done a few hot and fast smokes on it so far and everything has turned out pretty good. I hope to have some time soon for a low and slow cook to see how it cooks down in the 225-250 range.

What ended up being the total outside dimensions and cooking chamber dimensions? Trying to decide how big to build mine, won't need tons of capacity but am goign to build a little bigger than I think I need.

I have a home built (not by me) gravity feed as well and there are several things that you did here that are a GREAT idea.....

1. Putting the port for the fan under the pit to keep it out of the weather
2. The door for the Guru to keep IT out of the weather.
3. I like the way the FB door s separate from the air intake
4. The insulated, lined FB
5. The adjustable, low angled drip plate and diffuser.

TOP NOTCH!!!!

What ended up being the total outside dimensions and cooking chamber dimensions? Trying to decide how big to build mine, won't need tons of capacity but am goign to build a little bigger than I think I need.

I'll try to grab a picture this week from sketchup with some annotated dimensions to give you an idea.

I can't believe I missed this thread until today, fantastic build!

I think the Mods need to change your rating from "got wood" to "got steel"!

Back