Feels like I am cheating.....

CSchieck

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Been using a gravity fed smoker for the past two years, and had been very happy with the performance and ease of use. Take good care of it, and it has treated me well. Garage kept, cleaned after each use. No problems.
Have done some competitions with it, and have fared well as a beginner.

Picked up a small stick burner a few months ago, and find that she has become my smoker of choice for the weekend cooks. In fact, since obtaining the stick burner I have only used the gravity fed for comps. It sits in my garage next to the stick-burner, and I am starting to feel guilty each time I fire up the stick-burner while the gravity fed sits by patiently.

While the gravity fed is dependable and easy to work with, the stick burner does things for the that the gravity fed simply cannot. it requires a little more work and attention, but I find myself enjoying the stick burner considerably more.

I feel as if I am cheating on the gravity fed...... Am I?

@CSchieck: OK, I'm curious. What does the stick burner do for you that the Stumps can't?

I'm considering upgrading my cooker and have been intrigued by the vertical insulated cookers (like Stumps).

Thanks!
Bruce

The stick burner makes me work for the result, which has me appreciate the product more. Makes me feel more involved. I can raise temps a lot quicker if need be, and I have considerably more control over the smoke flavor I introduce to the meat. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the gravity fed cooker, and would not get rid of it. Comparing the two cooking methods is like comparing baseball to hockey. Very different. If you are looking for something to make the process easier, you cant go wrong with a gravity fed with a guru.

You are cheating on your gravity fed. Immediately send it up to VA Beach so that I can give her a new home.

I'm more "results" oriented. I do like to cook, but mostly because I love it when a cook results in really good food. So, I'm not all that attached to my equipment. I am a little sentimental about my 1995 Weber Redhead, but only because I bought it new in 1995, and still use it regularly.

I also don't get satisfaction from working harder to make good food.

My only comment would be that if you get to a point that you just don't use the gravity fed smoker enough to keep it around, sell it.

CD

I can relate. When I got my Shirley it was completely different than my cabinet insulated smokers, egg, wsm, etc. I never thought I would love watching a fire and thought my days from my COS beginnings were never coming back. But it was like a long lost love. Granted we do a bunch of competitions so I don't feel like unloading my backwoods and putting them in the backyard each week to cook on only to load them back up, so my Shirley is always there and easy to fire up.

I'll be one of the few........if not the only one to say..........I don't believe the flavor coming off my stick burner is the absolute best :loco::shocked:. Oh yeah I said it people :razz::becky:! It is "different" in an awesome way....in the same manner that the q that come off my backwoods or egg is "different" in an awesome way. But I am an idiot like that.

I cook on fairly automated smokers so much that the process of being more "hands on" when I can is very appealing. Didn't think it would be that way, but I do love it. I don't love it more than my other smokers, but I will talk about all the things I do love about it till the cows come home :clap2:.

Smoke on brother and don't worry what anyone else thinks :-D. I "cheat" on all my smokers at some point in time :laugh:.

I think I dated you my junior in High School.
Slut.

I haven't used my wsm since I got the stick burner. I still use the kettle (using it right now for roto chicken) but the bullet just has been sitting there calling out pick me pick me. She will have her day again, after the leaves fall and the temp drops. When the cold winds of Alberta come blowing in I'll come crawling back to my first love. The neighbors think I'm crazy enough with the weber on the front porch me leaning out the door tending the smoker. I could only imagine what they would think with the offset on the porch.

Checkt his out, ever since I got my C.O.S. "Cyclops" modded, that's all I've used this year so far, and letting "Meatbot" sit under it's cover. With Cyclops, I can skip cleaning, not worry about rust too bad, knowing that it's cheap. Meatbot is like the Corvette that sits covered in the garage during rainy season.

Stick burners rule for flavor but i wouldn't trade my UDS, Jimmy or mini for the world.

Forget about what aawa siad. Shipping would be too expensive.

I'll come by and pick her up. :p

I cant say anything about any thing but offsets. I started out with a COS and really stewed over what to get last year when we decided to get a new larger smoker. I looked at the gravity's, and others and finally decided when my wife said, you want to be involved like every hobby that you do don't you. Well that clinched it, PCC offset. Man what a cooker, awesome temp control and great flavor. Yes more work, but like a good marriage, its worth it,

Ain't nuthin' wrong, IMO!!!

If I'm having a lazy day and the weather is good, Earl gets the call. If I'm gonna be busy with other things or the weather sucks, Colt gets the call.

Sorry but the truth is YOU ARE CHEATING on your gravity fed! I know cause I've been cheating on my Backwoods cabinet smoker with a stick burner as well. It's nice to know there's a "Brother" out there that can identify! The cabinet's too easy, maybe a little boring. The stick burner takes my mind off of everything i.e. job, finances, etc. She's exciting to be with. I haven't felt this way since my first pork butt... I don't want a divorce, just a break from.... what were we talking about... :)

I'm right there with you. Been playing with a borrowed stickburner for a bit now, and I'm sold on them. Granted they're not the easiest thing in the world to work with, and I agree that when the weather goes bad on you they're no fun. But boy are they a good time the rest of the time.

I think I'm going to end up with a nice stick burner and a Weber 26" kettle for when the weather sucks--I can run the kettle under the covered part of my patio no problem, and there's nothing easier to manage than a snake in the kettle.

Back