David Chang's Burger manifesto

Untraceable

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
http://luckypeach.com/my-burger-manifesto/

Considering sheer deliciousness, White Castle1 might be the best burger out there. It’s a steamed burger, sopped up with juices and grease: a homogenized bite of amazingness. It’s as pure as can be. I love In-N-Out and Shake Shack, don’t get me wrong. But White Castle is just greater than the sum of its parts.
My ideal burger is bun, cheese, burger. Sometimes bacon. Ketchup on the side, so I can control it. Pickles—yes! Obviously. And the cheese thing has to be very clear: American cheese only. American cheese was invented for the hamburger. People talk about it being processed and artificial and not real cheese—you know what makes it real? When you put it on a hamburger.
Which brings me to this: one of the most boring things about hamburgers is talking about what hamburgers you like. How about we talk about what we don’t like about hamburgers? It’s a meatier topic. For example:
trashburger.jpg

I do not like a burger with a bunch of **** on it. Why? Who wants all the flavors of a pizza and a burger at the same time? Or when people go fancy with their burger? Come on, man, save the truffles for a dish you can’t eat at a rest stop. Except for you, Daniel Boulud—the one fancy burger I like is the DB Burger.

I’m not a fan of salad on my hamburger. Don’t give me mesclun or any of that ****. It’s iceberg or bust. Honestly, what does the lettuce do? It adds texture, Dave. Texture? Really? Is it really going to hold up, crushed between the bun and the hot patty that steams it? I don’t think so. The only thing that’s going to hold up to any type of cooking process is iceberg lettuce.
And onions and tomatoes—what do they do? Seriously, why not eat it as a salad on the side? That, I would understand. If I saw a gentleman or a lady eating a hamburger and then tucking into a bite of salad, I would understand that. The whole idea of half-steamed veg on top of your burger is the dumbest ****ing thing I could ever think of. And I will say this: if you enjoy it, you’re an idiot. You’re an idiot because you’ve never thought about your food. If someone said, “Would you jump off this bridge?” you’d be airborne before you even looked over the side.2

Another thing that’s a no-no on a hamburger is mustard. It’s too strong of a condiment. Ketchup is genius because it adds salty-sweetness that is perfect for it. Anything that’s bright and acidic, you want. Mustard is too spicy. Get that **** out of there.3

Furthermore: no pita bread or brioche as a bun. That’s just stupid. The only non-squishy buns I allow for are crumpets and English muffins. In college, I was living in London, and I used to microwave Boca burgers and eat them with hummus on a crumpet. A crumpet is a tremendous vehicle for a burger.

Grass-fed beef does not make burgers, in my opinion. It’s too lean and the fat content is not evenly distributed, so it can get a little mealy. But the dumbest burger in the world is the wagyu bull****. It’s like 70 percent fat content—it’s disgusting. Would you eat a ground bacon burger? That’s what you’re doing with a wagyu burger. Or the idiots that have “kobe beef wagyu sliders with like a trio of ketchup” on their menu—that drives me insane. The inventor of the kobe beef slider is right next to the inventor of aluminum siding in the Dumbest Thing I’ve Ever Seen Hall of Fame. And you know what’s even more stupid? The ****ing customer that buys it because he’s like, Oooohh, kobe, and it’s like $21. God have mercy on their souls.
You know who ****s up burgers more than anyone else in the world? Australians. Australia has no idea what a burger is. They put a fried egg on their burger. They put canned beetroot on it, like a wedge of it. I am not joking you. This is how they eat their burger.4
There’s something else people have to understand: that a medium-rare burger made with really good meat that has been properly ground up is a very wonderful thing. People will say, Oh, you’re eating it raw. So what if I’m eating it raw? It’s the same meat that they would use for a steak that they’re just grinding up to be a burger. It’s delicious! They’re fools. The only time I’ll eat a well-done burger is when I’m pregnant.

We all have feelings about how we want our burgers. These are mine. In closing, let me paraphrase Coco Chanel: You don’t like my burger? I don’t care about you at all.5

1. No, I don’t love White Castle because of Harold and Kumar, and if you thought that, you’re a terrible person.

2. I will admit that there is a time and place for these things. If consumed right away, an Animal Style burger at In-N-Out is a beautiful thing; the toppings provide a lovely textural and temperature contrast. But please do not let it sit for more than five minutes.

3. The only time mustard is okay is if it is in a secret sauce and if that secret sauce is delicious.

4. There are a few notable exceptions to this, like Mary’s in Newtown. Australians: I love your country and I love your food, even if your burgers are mostly terrible.
5. Also: Do as I say, not as I do. When you catch me eating one of these kinds of burgers that I have spoken against, please know that I am the ultimate hypocrite and that I am probably enjoying the **** out of it. Hamburgers are pretty much all good.

A runny yolk fried egg is without a doubt, hands down, the best thing ever put on a burger. I can't imagine anybody that has actually tried it not liking it. The people who usually speak out against it to me are the same ones that have never tried it and just think, "It sounds gross!"

David Chang is one of the brightest culinary minds today. Loved every minute of the first season of Mind of a Chef. I think its a must watch series for anyone that cares enough to post on a BBQ board.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg2gmp5fB2o"]Inside David Chang's Secret Momofuku Test Kitchen - YouTube[/ame]

I have tried In N Out and they suck. Give me Whataburger, Mighty Fine, Dans/Frans burgers, Circleville Store's burger all WAY better. Steamed Burgers do not sound appealing to me so probably wouldn't like White Castle either.

Good thing many gave their life to give this guy his chance at free speech. Otherwise, might have to string him up for some of those comments...

Too each their own...

Chang has become quite the curmudgeon lately.

Maybe it has dawned on him that on his best day he isn't fit to polish Ferran Adia's shoes, or 50 other culinary masters for that matter,, far more likely, he is being narrow minded and controversial about a hugely popular food item in order to " go the media Ho" as we say down here and get traction, a heap of free publicity.
Impending contract or new show?

umm, did you read the whole article or are you just making chit up again

Maybe it has dawned on him that on his best day he isn't fit to polish Ferran Adia's shoes, or 50 other culinary masters for that matter,, far more likely, he is being narrow minded and controversial about a hugely popular food item in order to " go the media Ho" as we say down here and get traction, a heap of free publicity.
Impending contract or new show?

Yeah, he is probably not in the top 50 and he probably does have something in the pipe regarding a new show to drum up publicity for.

His other unhinged rant was about craft beer....

http://www.gq.com/story/david-chang-cheap-beer

"For years I've watched craft-beer aficionados go on about their triple-hopped IPAs and cocoa-flavored English milk stouts while inside I've harbored a dark secret: I love cheap, watery swill. Singha, Tecate, Miller High Life—they're all the champagnes of beer, and for more reasons than you think
I have a tenuous relationship with the epicurean snob sets. Cheese snobs are okay, except for the delusional ones who proclaim America’s artisanal cheeses are as good as Europe’s. Wine snobs are pretty great, because they give me delicious wine. Sometimes they get worried when I want ice in my white wine, but what are you gonna do? I tell them I am a large man and I overheat. Coffee snobbery is just foreign to me; I don’t drink much coffee, because there is this great stuff called Diet Coke that has plenty of caffeine. It’s really refreshing, and I don’t need any tattoos to make it or fake Italian words to order it.

Beer snobs are the worst of the bunch. You know the old joke about cheap beer being like having sex in a canoe? I will take a beer that’s "****ing near water" every night of the week over combing out my neck beard while arguing about hop varieties.

See, when a waiter asks me what I want to drink, I respond, "What is your lightest, crappiest beer?" I’m very direct about my preference. But sometimes they think I’m being a jokey frat guy and don’t take me seriously. Or the sommelier worries that I’m turning up my nose at his wine list. The worst is when some dude starts to suggest a handcrafted lambic and I have to clarify my position.

I’m not saying that those beers don’t taste good. They do! And there’s a time and place for imperial stouts and barrel-aged saisons. (I have seen the sunrise from the bar at Mikkeller, okay, guys?) But 95 percent of the time, I don’t want something that tastes delicious. I want a Bud Light. I am not being falsely contrarian or ironic in a hipsterish way. This is something that I genuinely feel: I do not want a tasty beer.

Maybe it goes back to my childhood. I remember watching my grandfather mow the lawn on a ninety-degree day in Virginia, and as soon as he finished, he’d ask me to fetch him a can of ice-cold beer. He’d tell me, "One day, you’ll understand what it’s like to drink a really cold beer when you’ve earned it." I was like, "What the **** does that mean?"

In high school, we drank cheap beer because we could afford it—we’d buy it by the case. But when I became a cook, I learned what that beer meant to my grandpa. Working alongside the Hispanic guys who really work in a restaurant kitchen, I learned that the world south of Texas makes amazing bad beer: Imperial from Costa Rica, Presidente from the Dominican Republic, Tecate from Mexico—all excellent bad beers.

For all the debatability of my rant here, let me make one ironclad argument for ****ty beer: It pairs really well with food. All food. Think about how well champagne pairs with almost anything. Champagne is not a flavor bomb! It’s bubbly and has a little hint of acid and tannin and is cool and crisp and refreshing. Cheap beer is, no joke, the champagne of beers. And cheap beer and spicy food go together like nothing else. Think about Natty Boh and Old Bay-smothered crabs. Or Asian lagers like Orion and Singha and Tiger, which are all perfect ways to wash down your mapo
tofu.

But there’s no beverage that I’ve drunk more of in my life than Bud Light. (Except water, but what’s the difference?) And there’s no drink I love more. I love it more than any great white wine, more than any white Burgundy, which I love very, very much. In my fridge, the only beer—practically the only foodstuff I’ve ever purchased for home—is Bud Light bottles. And since I live in New York City, I don’t even have to mow a lawn to earn one."

All in all, I still like Chang.

Back