• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How long will meat keep in the freezer

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok after reading N8man's thread about his 3 year old chicken in the woodpile it got me thinking about all the deer meat and bbq in my deep freezer. It is all wrapped in butcher paper and some of it is a few years old by now.. When should I look at cleaning it out and getting rid of it?

I just came across this thought myself.

Found 2 freezer vacu packs (with a good seal still) of cooked and pulled beer can chicken meat, both labelled 10-7-2007!!

Is this still good?

But a question for FDaddy:

You mention butcher paper, but is it cryo-sucked or air removed at all?

I had a 30# box of bacon broken down into 2-3# packs that I had in only butcher paper. Found a few of them couple years later that got lost (full stand up freezer in garage) and they were trashed.

Even cooked, tasted like bad ice. Freezer burned to the max.

Well here is what the USDA says about freezing:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...zing/index.asp

Foods in the freezer -- are they safe? Every year, thousands of callers to the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline aren't sure about the safety of items stored in their own home freezers. The confusion seems to be based on the fact that few people understand how freezing protects food. Here is some information on how to freeze food safely and how long to keep it.

What Can You Freeze?
You can freeze almost any food. Some exceptions are canned food or eggs in shells. However, once the food (such as a ham) is out of the can, you may freeze it.

Being able to freeze food and being pleased with the quality after defrosting are two different things. Some foods simply don't freeze well. Examples are mayonnaise, cream sauce and lettuce. Raw meat and poultry maintain their quality longer than their cooked counterparts because moisture is lost during cooking.

Is Frozen Food Safe?
Food stored constantly at 0 °F will always be safe. Only the quality suffers with lengthy freezer storage. Freezing keeps food safe by slowing the movement of molecules, causing microbes to enter a dormant stage. Freezing preserves food for extended periods because it prevents the growth of microorganisms that cause both food spoilage and foodborne illness.

Freezing

My late wife NEVER thawed her Thksgvng turkey. Been trying to convince my current wife to try it! She finally did thanks to the American Turkey council web-site that gave a full explanation on how to do it , as well as saying it's best and safest that way. They also said that while quality could not be assured , a frozen turkey will keep in the frozen state indefinitely!!Why not other foods? If you look at FDA guidelines , they don't agree with the Turkey council. Sooo, whom do you believe-- beats me--ours was over a year old and tasty and juicy!:eusa_clap:razz:

Having had a bad case of salmonella in the past (is there such a thing as a good case?),
I suggest that if you think it's getting old, it probably is, and I'd throw it OUT.

But a question for FDaddy:

You mention butcher paper, but is it cryo-sucked or air removed at all?

Even cooked, tasted like bad ice. Freezer burned to the max.

No. It is tightly wrapped in waxed butcher paper. It is primarily venison. most of it in cutlets or ground sausage. I wanna say some of it is at least 3-4 years old now that I think to when I got my deep freeze.

We cooked a 4 year old cryo brisket. It was safe to eat, but it tasted like $hit. :icon_sick

I am a firm believer in 6 months toss is out. That is if there is no freezer burnt pieces. Get freezer burnt out whenever it happens. We all cook well and deserve better than chit.

Foods that have been frozen are safe to eat...even if having been
frozen for years.
You can't get food poisoning from eating it.
It can loose some flavor if it has been frozen for years...but; is safe
to eat.
Since flavor is what we all like...you might wait and use those old
cuts of meat this winter in a stew...in the crock pot.
You can smoke it first for maximum flavor if you want.
The parts that show "freezer burn" can be cut off if you want; but,
they are perfectly safe to eat.

To help protect the flavor of foods when you freeze them....vacuum
pack them first...that way if it gets lost in your freezer for several
years...it will still have decent flavor.

The food saver vac advertises as long as 5 years when properly packaged in the freezer which I can only attest to 4 years since that is as old as my machine and I just pulled out some zucchini and fried it. It was a little soft after the thaw but came out as good tasting as it went in.

I used to wrap my meat in butcher paper in deer season and our rule was if next deer season it wasnt gone, it was time to trash or cook it up with rice for the dogs. I do know air easily permeates the butcher wrap and quickly burns meats.

I'll have to try to make these so called piggles.

I have eaten my deer meat and sausage at two years wrapped in butcher paper in the freezer. I even ate some sausage once from 3 years that was wrapped only in butcher paper. Tasted like chit. Now I vacuum pack it.

I wouldn't hesitate to eat anything 3 or 4 years old. It won't hurt you and salmonella and botulism won't grow in the freezer. The only thing to suffer will be the taste.

And, depending on the meat/protein, the texture... I advise AVOIDING tilapia that is over 18 months old... vacuum sealed or not... ;-)

Elk....

I like to go elk hunting every couple of years and often have some summer sausage made and have it kryo-vacc'd. About how long is it good before it needs to be pitched?

My late wife NEVER thawed her Thksgvng turkey. Been trying to convince my current wife to try it! She finally did thanks to the American Turkey council web-site that gave a full explanation on how to do it , as well as saying it's best and safest that way. They also said that while quality could not be assured , a frozen turkey will keep in the frozen state indefinitely!!Why not other foods? If you look at FDA guidelines , they don't agree with the Turkey council. Sooo, whom do you believe-- beats me--ours was over a year old and tasty and juicy!:eusa_clap:razz:

Lets see... who are we to believe?

1)A greedy capital conglomerate whose goal is to breed profit for it's members at all cost?:twisted:

Or....

2)A corrupt Gov't agency that does what big greedy capitalist conglomerates pay them to do?:evil:

hmmmm..... hard choice. Guess someone at the FDA did not get their pay off.

<pay no heed to the man behind the green curtain, which is me>

I wrapped some pork chops real solid and air tight with Glad Press & Seal and then wrapped and sealed with some aluminum foil and they kept for a year and were still like new. That's the longest I've ever had anything stick around in my freezer though...

Back