• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sliced or Chopped Brisket for Competition

Hawgsnheifers

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I've been talking to some competitors and judges and I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with sliced or chopped brisket for my first competition next weekend at Smoke in the spring? After hearing about how the judges judge brisket, wouldn't it be better to do chopped because it can be sliced much thinner, which would make it harder to test for over doneness? I asked one recently trained KCBS judge about chopped and he said that he would have given me a 9 based on the picture of the chopped brisket I posted last weekend from a small catering gig I did. The 9 would be on appearence only, so obviously no one knows where the taste would score, but based on what the lady and her guests said about it, it would probably be in the 7 or 8's.

So the questions is sliced or chopped? What will get a better score?

Todd, the comment I heard at the CBJ class I was in was that if someone turns in chopped brisket, the ASSUMPTION would be that they're trying to compensate for overcooked brisket. Fair assumption or not, I personally consider it dangerous to try it. If you're worried about overcooking your brisket, cook two... or three... and turn in your best sliced product. Just my opinion mind you.

We recently started doing slices with some chopped at the end. This is a pic from last years Royal. I thought the brisket went to long, but it scored ok. I can't see myself turning in a box with nothing but burnt ends. Good luck.

Attachments

• Royal06-Brisket (Small).JPG
    Royal06-Brisket (Small).JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 165
Todd, I've thought about the same thing, but then realized that as a CBJ, I would think that someone overcooked the brisket ans was cpmpensating for it. I do like chopped brisket though.

As a cook, I am planning on turning in slices with some chopped in a corner because judges might not be use to seeing Chopped/Pulled brisket. As everyone knows, people are afraid of what they do not know.

As a judge, appearance could get a good score. An expierenced judge should be able to taste and tell the difference between overcooked and cooked spot on.

If you are not going to turn in sliced brisket I would expect the scores being down because of the way judges are trained. That being said as a judge trainer I feel that is one a weakness of the class and have talked with Ed Roith about the matter. If sliced, chopped and pulled brisket is a legal turn-in then why would we teach that a chopped and pulled turn-in is inferior.

Right now the way things are done I wouldn't omit sliced brisket from the turn-in but that could change as the training is refined in the future.

Jim

As a cook, I am planning on turning in slices with some chopped in a corner because judges might not be use to seeing Chopped/Pulled brisket. As everyone knows, people are afraid of what they do not know.

As a judge, appearance could get a good score. An expierenced judge should be able to taste and tell the difference between overcooked and cooked spot on.

Ya, your all probably right. I guess being a novice competitor I should not be looking for shortcuts but instead be looking for way's to perfect the standard, and in this case it's sliced not chopped. I do have to admit that the sliced brisket presentation, like the picure above, to me, is a lot more appealing than chopped. Guess I better get that 25 year old electric knife out and make sure it's sharp and still works.

Thanks for advise Brothers...

If you are not going to turn in sliced brisket I would expect the scores being down because of the way judges are trained. That being said as a judge trainer I feel that is one a weakness of the class and have talked with Ed Roith about the matter. If sliced, chopped and pulled brisket is a legal turn-in then why would we teach that a chopped and pulled turn-in is inferior.

Right now the way things are done I wouldn't omit sliced brisket from the turn-in but that could change as the training is refined in the future.

Jim

This and many other reasons, is why I voted for you for BOD!

Back