First Competition Practice cook in progress.

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm going through my first full blown competition practice cook.
016.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

My cook site was set up earlier in the evening. At around 9pm I took the brisket out, separated it, and injected it. One of the UDS was fired up with some hickory. Then it was time to get the brisket ready to go on.
025.jpg

First came the slather.
027.jpg

Then the rub down with some Big Butz Cow Pow.
028.jpg

After the brisket was put on the UDS. It was time to get to work on the pork butt. I sliced back the fat cap and then injected it.
030.jpg

Then came the slather and rub.
031.jpg

034.jpg

033.jpg

Then the butt joined the brisket at around 1am.
035.jpg

037.jpg

Now It's time to kick back and keep an eye on the smoker. Better set the alarm clock, just in case. :thumb:

I'm in Iraq and looking at all that delicious food is making me hungry but I can't do anything about it:laugh:

Looks like you're making good progress. :thumb:

But, am I wrong? I thought you weren't allowed to separate the brisket in a KCBS comp. I'm not a competitor, so I could be very wrong. Just thought I would point it out, just in case.

But, am I wrong? I thought you weren't allowed to separate the brisket in a KCBS comp. I'm not a competitor, so I could be very wrong. Just thought I would point it out, just in case.

Separating the brisket is fine in KCBS competitions. You may be thinking about pork. There is a rule against parting a pork butt and then returning it to the cooker.

It's turn in time and everything got done way ahead of schedule, I've been able to hold it pretty good though. The weather has been HELL! Horrible thunderstorms have plagued me all night. The wind has been for feeding the smokers air or trying to snuff them out. If I wanted a test by fire, this is truly it. Been taking pics when I can and plan to post as soon as I can.

WTH is Cowpow? Is this a new product? Also, why did you part the brisket? Did I miss that?

WTH is Cowpow? Is this a new product? Also, why did you part the brisket? Did I miss that?

Ummm it might be in the works. :becky: Parted it because I'm an idiot. Last time I parted one it was because I was short on cook time and for some reason I thought to do the same thing this time only to realize that it was done in half the time I had projected. :tsk:

This experience was one to remember. I have never had that big of a fight against the weather while cooking. The rain was ridiculous. At one point it was pouring down the back of the lit UDS. I moved my EZUp but, when I went to start getting my second UDS going, the wind picked up and started blowing the rain into that one and getting the coals wet. :mad2: While the chimney was getting up to temp for the second UDS, I was stuck under the canopy trying to keep the first UDS from getting any wetter. Once it had settled down a bit and I got the coals dumped into the second UDS, I went to work on getting the ribs ready.
038.jpg

039.jpg

They got their slather and then got a salt dusting. I finally put them on the grill around 7am. I fought with the smoker they were in for about 2 hours. During that time, the rain did die off but, the wind picked up. The chicken went into a brine for about 2 hours after getting some fat trimmed off of it. At 10am it got hit with some Big Butz Chicken Dust. 6 pieces went into one tray and 6 went in another while 4 were cooked outside of the tray.
The brisket was up to to 205 by 8am! :shock: I pulled it and wrapped it to hold over.
At 10am the ribs were done! :shock: They were pulled and wrapped as well.
With everything finishing up early, I have to admit I was rather worried.
But! I soldiered on. The point of the brisket was cut into burnt ends and then the flat received a sauce bath and was wrapped back up. The burnt ends had some juice added to them along with sauce ion a covered tray. They returned to the UDS and the racks of ribs were brought back out and sauced up to catch a nice glaze.
Pretty soon it was time for the chicken to come off!
040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

We only had 4 Judges so that's how they got boxed.
044.jpg

Then came the ribs!
046.jpg

Then the pork.
047.jpg

And last, but not least, brisket!
051.jpg

Then it was time to pile it up and feed the masses.
054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

All and all, ribs weren't my best but were very good and had a great bite and taste to them. Pork was buttery delicious. Chicken in the box had great taste but, there were skin issues. However, the chicken we cooked a different way was perfect. When it came to the brisket, burnt ends were awesome but, the flat was ruined. It was too think and it got dried out and then tasted burnt. I was not happy but, I only have myself to blame. For competition, I'm not going to separate it.
Right now I'm unbelievably tired. Everyone loved the food. Most are too nice to say different but, I knew the flavors were there. Just some tenderness issues. The only timing issues were the brisket and ribs but, I'll be able to fix those.
Thanks for following along! :thumb:

I finally was no longer full this afternoon. And I immediately had to have a couple of sammies. :becky:
Now those be some great leftovers, which is good because, We'll be enjoying them for a couple of days... with every meal... :shock:

Back