Opinions needed: 20" vs 24" offsets stick burner

snoqualmiesmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Would like some opinions on the big differences between a 24 or 20 inch diameter offsets. Better flow in smaller pit? Is just better for the 2nd shelf?

Thanks!

Unless you are only cooking for a small family or smaller groups I wouldn't recommend a 20" cook chamber. I've never heard of a cooker drafting better based on the size of the pipe. That extra 4" goes a long way. Full size pans will fit better, bigger to grate.

Another vote for the 24. That extra 4" doesn't sound like a lot but it's often the difference between a rack of ribs or a brisket being able to fit front to back or not. Don't think it matters as much on butts but it's a big difference for ribs in terms of capacity.

If you have 2 levels of grates it will make a big difference...like going from a 14 wide manufactured home to a 16 wide...

Agree with what has already been said about the 24", especially if you want a second cooking grate, with one exception. I pretty frequently get folks that want something smaller just because they are only cooking for a small family or really don't have room for a larger cooker. A 20" pipe with 30"-36" main cooking grate is a pretty compact unit but still capable of 2-3 briskets, 4-6 butts, a couple turkeys or a bunch of ribs or chicken. And you can add a second cooking grate, it is just smaller than you can get in a 24" and the vertical spacing between cooking grates gets pretty tricky.

Interestingly, a good number of folks I talk with asking for smaller cookers either have or have cooked quite a bit on big ones and are looking for quality features in a smaller pit.

As far "performance" size is not critical if a pit is designed and built properly with quality material (i.e., 1/4" vs thin sheet metal).

24. When I was shopping my horizontal offset most every pit builder questioned even making 20" pits. The small difference in price makes a huge difference for all reasons stated above.

My first trailer was a 20" diameter and this is what I found...

1.) When doing ribs, 20" was too short for them to fit across the diameter and I had to run them long way inside the smoker. This took too much space, I thought.

2.) My water pan wouldn't fit since I use a full size pan as the water pan when I use it.

3.) The space seemed cramped when working multiple meats with basting and such.

I upgraded to a 24", which is where I am now, and it has done wonders with not only how I cook but how different meats can be arranged on the grates. There is also room for a second rack if I want. I want but have no need so I haven't done it yet.

All that being said, I am looking to upgrade to a 30" or larger or possible a vertical box smoker for the back of my trailer but am still planning out which might work best.

Last edited:
I love my offset - but - the only thing I would change about it is having a 24" instead of a 20" main chamber. For what I do most of the time, the 20" is fine, but there are times when I wish I had a little more room.

When I was looking for an offset I was used to cooking only on a size Large Big Green Egg, so the 20" Horizon looked absolutely huge. The owner of the BBQ store also counseled that most everyone would be more than satisfied with the 20." That is what we ordered and it is a great smoker. It is plenty big enough for most of our cooks. I wish it were a 24............

If you've got the space and funds, a 24 inch is nice to have. Not only do you have more space for cooking a bunch of meat when the occasion arises, but it does allow for more strategic spacing of meats to avoid hot spots. Also a top rack really comes in useful for sides that need extra heat, or chicken.

Regarding the flow vs. size, I thought I remember reading that some manufacturers think that a bigger a smoker cooks the most evenly. I don't know if "flow" itself is what improves, or just plain having the space to move things around. Although the extra mass sure must help with heat stability.

When it comes to cooking grate depth SIZE DOES Matter... Mathematically 24" is bigger than 20"... Go with 24 when ever possible.

My first trailer was a 20" diameter and this is what I found...

1.) When doing ribs, 20" was too short for them to fit across the diameter and I had to run them long way inside the smoker. This took too much space, I thought.

2.) My water pan wouldn't fit since I use a full size pan as the water pan when I use it.

3.) The space seemed cramped when working multiple meats with basting and such.

I upgraded to a 24", which is where I am now, and it has done wonders with not only how I cook but how different meats can be arranged on the grates. There is also room for a second rack if I want. I want but have no need so I haven't done it yet.

All that being said, I am looking to upgrade to a 30" or larger or possible a vertical box smoker for the back of my trailer but am still planning out which might work best.

bingo!!! what he said^^^^^^^^^:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Back