Warmer for Resting

woodpelletsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
When you smoke brisket by low & slow, you will wrap brisket by foil and put it inside a cooler for say 3 hours. The brisket will continue to cook itsself by its own heat. Its temperature will drop say from 160F to 130F.

Do you need such a cooler, indeed a warmer, it will keep the brisket at 160F or 130F for many hours as you want.

Are you referring to Cooking or Holding???

When removed from the smoker and wrapped after the temperature begins to drop about five degrees, it doesn't continue to cook as the temperature is dropping at a slow rate. However when holding the meat in the cooler the connective tissues continues to dissolve into a gelatinous material, and the cells begin to denature and release collagen making the meat extremely moist and tender. This process will continue until the temperature of the meat drops close to 160°.

When removed from the smoker and wrapped after the temperature begins to drop about five degrees, it doesn't continue to cook as the temperature is dropping at a slow rate. However when holding the meat in the cooler the connective tissues continues to dissolve into a gelatinous material, and the cells begin to denature and release collagen making the meat extremely moist and tender. This process will continue until the temperature of the meat drops close to 160°.
I mean HOLDING meat at 160F or whatever

I believe holding at a low temp is key to finishing a brisket. 160 is a good number. Id like a nice affordable holding oven for home

Wouldn't a super-cooler like a Yeti work as a holding oven?

Id say close but not exactly. We are finishing and holding at the same time so in my case i want it to keep cooking after i pull it. If you didn't vent before the rest holding in a super cooler would do the job well enough i suppose. Those expensive holding ovens have humidity control i believe.

Some ovens have a low low setting; mine has 140 and I use that...

Don't want to derail this thread, but could you expound upon that in another thread, or point to a link if already covered? Thanks.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFDnwzJ8dhQ"]Ten Day Cooler - YouTube[/ame]

This is petty slick, but I'd save $$ and use doubled up 2" foam panels, rather than spray it.

When you smoke brisket by low & slow, you will wrap brisket by foil and put it inside a cooler for say 3 hours. The brisket will continue to cook itsself by its own heat. Its temperature will drop say from 160F to 130F.

Do you need such a cooler, indeed a warmer, it will keep the brisket at 160F or 130F for many hours as you want.

Hold it at 130 as long as you want, just don't feed it to anyone after 4 hours.

I have a Cambro cooler that will hold about 4 briskets. Problem is if I only have one there seems to be too much air space to keep it above 140 for much more than a few hours. Pack it full and it will keep 7 hours.

My solution is the poor man's holding oven, a Nesco-style roaster. Trick is you have to pick up on old one since the new ones only go as low as 200 on the dial (don't know if they actually go lower). The old ones go to 150 on the dial and less than that in practice. I've used a few with my digital thermometer and they are all surprisingly accurate. Found one on Craigslist for less than $20.

I can develop an electrical heater only, you can put the heating element inside your cooler. You can drill a small hole on wall of cooler and install a socket/plug. and seal gap by gel. It will be powered by an AC/DC adapter of your mobile phone, or even a battery power back. 5VDC, 10W, precise temperature control.
Please keep in mind, the heater is to KEEP the temp.of food not to COOK the food.
If the cooler is good heat insulated, electrical energy consumption will be minimum.

In Chinese culture COLD food is bad to your health.
We mostly eat WARMER.
We do not drink ice water, instead we drink tea.
We do not eat cold hamburg.
We do not eat cold rice.
If temp. is above 140F, it will be bacteria safe.
So put food at 140-160F inside the cooler.
Keep the temp. above 140F by the heater all the time.
It is good for your lunch box.
It is good for outdoor

I have a masterbuilt electric smoker that was a gift and only got used a few times. It's small but it should do the job. Is that cheap enough? I think it will go as low as 100°.

Back