Meat price tracking app, similar to Gas Buddy

Leatherheadiowa

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had ever seen an app that tracks meat prices in different grocery stores, wholesale clubs, and meat lockers. I have used an app on my phone called Gas Buddy were people independently put in the prices of gasoline and diesel at gas stations across the country. Then all you have to do is plug in a ZIP Code and up pops the most recent price is input by other consumers so you can make the best decision on where to go and get the cheapest fuel.
I hate calling Sam's Club, Costco, and other places where I get my meat every week to find out who has the best deal. Like Gas Buddy, it would be nice if people that were already at these places for things besides meat could go in and plug-in the current price for a pound of brisket, pork butt, whole chicken, or other staple meat items.
Anyone have any thoughts about the practicality and how useful an app like this would be to somebody other than myself?

I have wondered the exact same thing. Calling local stores and getting treated like my call will give them ebola is getting old!

Also, an app like this would be AMAZING for those who vacation and cook for themselves.

After the little bit of outpouring of support this afternoon I have found an application developer and it looks like this will definitely be something that will rollout soon. It looks like that it will be out sometime before Christmas. The only thing that I can find as being a problem is underwriting expense of having somebody professional develop the app. In other words, the app will cost something in order to pay for the proper development and maintenance of the application. Anybody care to share what a fair price for this app would be through iTunes Google play?

I get all the local news paper ads on wed every week, I can also go to all the stores on line to view their ads, so it would be redundit for me. Now if it carried butcher shops, and small mom and pop shops, that would be a different story.
Dave

The slaughterhouse I use has on-line pricing and if I order in advance I can lock ito current pricing. If price goes up, my price stays where it is, but if the price goes down so will mine.

Other than that, like Mo-Dave said, check the circulars or go on-line to find current pricing. After you shop with a few vendors for a little while it is easy to see who is consistently higher in price and who is consistently lower in quality and you can easily pick your regular go to locations.

I really want to basis on the gas buddy application where people have to report where thereat and the prices and then they are automatically loaded by ZIP Code. Unfortunately I don't have the time or resources to go out and solicit advertising like the gas buddy app. As I talk to the developer that I've been in contact with he said to keep the site free there may be a nominal charge of a couple bucks to download the app and then free from that point on.

I use the iPhone app called "Weekly Ads". It at least gives me the weekly Publix ad so I can see the meats that are on sale, and what is B1G1. It doesn't have some of the other local grocery stores, but I would say it may at least be worth a try (it's a free app).

I'd definitely spend a bit for that info. 4.99 app price isn't out of line.

Needs to be $0.99 I think to get a lot of takers. This app won't have a huge potential audience, so I think the conversion rate will need to be high.

For a buck, I'd give it a try. For much more and it likely wouldn't be worth it for me.

Good luck. Hope it happens.

the problem is you need a large audience to make this work

gas buddy's success comes from its many members who constantly update the database.

you would need that kind of participation from all parts of the country for this to be feasible and useful to all

My primary concern is meat quality over price but a bargain is always welcome. Like ButtBurner said, this would require a large user base to be effective, but for a buck, I'd give it a try.

I have developed this app. I am currently testing it in the Canadian market with a website and iOS app.the costs have been several thousand dollars already. To be honest I am disappointed in the low level of interest in the app. The U.S. market is ten times the size, which translates to much more cost to develop and a whole lot more time to monitor.

It works the exact same as GASBUDDY. I am open to suggestions for any improvements or suggested ways to market it. I am holding back the .com version for the U.S. But for those that are interested the ios app is Meat Deal Finder and the website is http://meatdealfinder.ca

Last edited:
As soon as it is available on Android, I'll download. I'm not an iGuy.

I have developed this app.
Meatdealfinder - do not be discouraged.
It takes a long time to establish any good brand.
I mentioned gunbot.net which is free to find ammo.
Maybe learn from them?
I don't have a smartphone, yet I actually walk into stores to find prices,
and likely leave empty handed, 'cause Chicken breasts were $3.99.
Too much.
I do this alot.

Back