25th Q: Lemon Peppered Pork Shoulder Roast HNF 6H [w/ pr0n]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last weeks pork was such a huge success, it just had to be done again! :smile:

So I got another pork shoulder roast with a weight of 9.92 lbs, which I left completely untrimmed.

01_pork_shoulder_roast_9_92_lbs.jpg

02_pork_side_a.jpg

03_pork_side_b.jpg

Inspired by the info provided in the pepper thread I was very excited to try that lemon pepper on pork, so I got a four-peppers-blend consisting of green, white, and black pepper corns + red berries and three natural lemons for that purpose.

04_peppers_and_lemons.jpg

Grated zest of three lemons

05_grated_lemon_zest.jpg

The peppers blend

06_four_peppers.jpg

Peppers pestled in mortar

07_peppers_pestled.jpg

The resulting lemon pepper mixture

08_lemon_pepper.jpg

The final lemon pepper rub with added iodized medium-coarse sea salt

09_lemon_pepper_rub.jpg

The remaining rub went into the freezer to preserve the lemon zest

10_remaining_rub.jpg

The well rubbed pork shoulder roast (I really tried to not overdo it this time)

11_pork_rubbed.jpg

Natural Lemon Tree Lump Charcoal with six small pieces of apple wood buried in the charcoal ring lit Minion style

12_lemon_lump_with_apple_wood_minion.jpg

Pork shoulder roast on upper grate of my WSM

13_pork_on_upper_grate.jpg

If you should be wondering why Minion for HNF, the idea was to let it hit IT 165°F LNS starting at about 225°F slowly rising to ~280°F and then give it all the WSM is capable of after foiling, so smoking phase LNS and finishing HNF.

The pork was ready for foiling in apple juice after 4 hours and 7 minutes (the Maverick was counting down the first 3 hours, then counting up till finished)

14_pork_ready_for_foiling_after_4h07.jpg

15_pork_ready_for_foiling_after_4h07.jpg

16_pork_ready_for_foiling_after_4h07.jpg

After foiling I had to leave for our usual Saturday afternoon shopping, which was the first time I had to let a fire unattended. When we came back, IT was already at 212°F :shock:

So it was put into the oven at 200°F for resting after a total cooking time of 6 hours.

17_pork_ready_after_6h.jpg

18_pork_ready_after_6h.jpg

Luckily the pork was unharmed, and this is what it looked like after resting:

19_pork_after_resting.jpg

20_pork_pulled.jpg

21_pork_closeup.jpg

22_pork_closeup.jpg

23_pork_closeup.jpg

24_pork_closeup.jpg

And the final product: Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Yogurt-based Coleslaw (w/o Mayonnaise)

25_pulled_pork_sandwich.jpg

26_pulled_pork_sandwich.jpg

What can I say, this pulled pork was FREAKING FANTASTIC! It had it all, the complexity of the 4-peppers-blend and the slight fruity touch from the lemon zest was just awesome, and because I left the peppers pretty coarse this time it was not too hot for kids & wife.

Lemon Pepper it is! :mrgreen:

Yes, it indeed was that great, and it's amazing how an already good result can be topped again and again. I just HAVE to do it again this weekend, the wife demands it! :mrgreen:

The next pork shoulder roast is already ordered, hopefully they have a larger piece for me when I pick it up tomorrow.

Interestingly this kind of cut is better suited than the formerly used pork neck without bone without speck, and it's much easier to handle, because I don't have to trim anything at all (I think the money muscle of the pork neck is overrated anyway). I put it on with side A (as seen in the second picture) facing downwards, and side B offers a lot of surface for building up bark and smoke ring. Foiling in apple juice also works very well, specially with the temp bumped up for the HNF finish.

BTW Having tried now a lot of different types of bun for the pulled pork sandwiches, my favorite is my wife's self made pita bread, which adds an extra touch to the finished product. The combination of lemon peppered pork + vinegar based sauce + yogurt based coleslaw + self-made pita bread is just PERFECT, because each part of it reaches 100% on the scale! :smile:

Care to share a little more about the yogurt coleslaw?
I don't really have a clue, will have to ask the wife, who didn't like the original recipe with mayonnaise (too much unnecessary fat), so she substituted it with a Greek style yogurt with 10% fat. The result is unbelievably good, and nobody will ever wish mayonnaise back again.

Those are some great looking sandwiches. Care to share a little more about the yogurt coleslaw?

I use greek yogurt in place of mayo in the slaw's i make that call for mayo. I am not a big fan of mayo and greek yogurt texture is a great substitute. It does add a little bit more of a tang than mayo gives but I am ok with that.

Back