catering low country boil

mjljr13

Reaction score
Im cooking a low country boil for 60 people would yall cook it at the house and deliver it in a cambro or cook it on site? Thanks!

I'd cook it on site. I've done Frogmore Stew (Lowcountry Boil) for 20-25 people. I'm guessing you'll need 2 30qt pots.

I think watching everything get cooked is half the fun of a seafood boil/cookout experience.
Just don't let any of the guests get too close to the action.

Everyone will be occupied so no one will be watch or be around it....I guess what im wondering is would holding it and delivering it in a cambro affect the quality. It'd be more comfortable for me to do it off site and bring it...but I dont wanna affect the quality

You could maybe cook the potatoes and sausage (and corn) off site, but I'd definitely cook the shrimp on site.

I would suggest doing it onsite as well. Transporting in a cambro might risk overcooking the shrimp. You could speed things up by pre-heating the water and getting it there in insulated jugs. Then you could just throw it in the pot and add seasonings, get it up to a boil, and be good to go. And it makes for a much better presentation as well, IMHO

We've done this at tailgates for 50+ and it works just fine

Definately do it on site! Like others said you could preheat the water prior to your arrival. This would save a good bit of time when you get there.

Holding it is a bad idea, do it on-site. I am not sure what your concerns would be, if you plan it right, it is very straightforward.

crabs

Some folks do crabs in their boil, If you're gonna do crabs, I'd suggest cooking them seperately. Steam them don't boil them. When I prepare crabs, I remove the top shell & all the inerds. shake some of the seasoning in & steam them seperate the taters corn sausage onion & shrimp.

Back