Biggest/most respected bbq comp?

Houston is right around the corner. The amount of money spent on that event is mind boggling.

Even though, not near as large or well known, there are plenty of great state contests that are run very much respected by the people who attend them year in, year out.. I think it starts with Organizers who are very passionate about running a contest, along with great reps.. I feel very fortunate to be able to compete in those kind of contests.

If you want to know anything about the time Scottie spent in Houston, you should probably ask Randy Pauly:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Man, what a set-up Holy Cow Cookers has! Coyote Ugly on the bar. And it is a real bar... that is about all I will say. Other than i like cowgirls...:evil:

Man, what a set-up Holy Cow Cookers has! Coyote Ugly on the bar. And it is a real bar... that is about all I will say. Other than i like cowgirls...:evil:

I describe HLSR to people that have never been as a combo of the Royal and MIM on steroids. I haven't had too many folks disagree after they have been there.

Toss up for me The Jack and the Royal Open. Having finally weaseled our way to the Jack , I can truly say that If we get the chance to do both in the same year I will do what ever it takes to make both. Driving over the bridge at the Royal and lookin at all those cookers WOW

IMHO

Depends on the kind of BBQ you are cooking...

For Pork the most prestigous is Memphis in May as that is what MIM focuses on. Ribs, Shoulder, and Whole Hog. It is certified as the largest Pork BBQ Contest in the World. This make the winner of Memphis in May the World PORK BBQ Champion

For Brisket it is the Houston Rodeo. Nobody does Brisket like Texas and this is the biggest, baddest Comp in the Lonestar State. You win this and you are the KING of Beef BBQ.

For KCBS it is the Royal. As KCBS is a style adapted all over the USA due to it being the premeire and most used sanctioning organization, this means you are the top amongst 5500+ BBQ Teams in the organization. You are the KCBS World Champion

Now that brings me to the Jack. The winner of MIM is invited to the Jack, the winner of the Royal is invited to the Jack, pretty much gotta be a Grand Champion at one (more times than most many) regional contests. Since the Jack is, unlike the Royal, composed of winning teams from different sanctioning organizations besides KCBS, I would argue that this makes the Jack Grand Champion the Overall BBQ World Champion as you have to be able to cook many styles of BBQ well in order to win.

Like I said, Just my view

Neil

We've had an AR invite several times and I have never bothered to go. I've never had my name called for the Jack and don't plan on turning it down WHEN it happens. Perspective.

AR as the largest for sure.

King of the Smoker as most prestigious. Yes the jack has 7 GC in 1 year guys but you can also get in by being lucky with 1 GC. Not to discount the difficulty in getting 1 GC but KOS is a more concentrated field of multiple GC winners who are hands down the best in the country. Not to mention the location/amenities being second to none!

i can see that^^^^.

i suppose it might be all relative like most things.

if i told someone i won the jack, MIM, or royal:roll:, they'd probably know what i meant. king of smokers, unlikely, despite it's prestige within our circle.

Really??? King of Smokers, Sam's, World Food Championships??

Not to disrespect people's opinions but, they've only been around a couple years. You'll find just as many (if not more) teams with amazing track records at the Jack, MIM, and the Royal.

Not to discount those contests, but the prestige of contests is built by the skill of the teams competing AND age. In order of oldest to youngest: The Houston Rodeo, Memphis in May, the Royal, and the Jack are BBQ institutions...that creates prestige.

Wait ten years and ask this question again...I bet you ten bucks the four listed above will still be around, and still be considered the most prestigious in BBQ, where as many of the others; Sam's, World Food, King of Smokers...will be in the ash pan. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them lasting the decades the Legendary 4 have.

IMHO

Depends on the kind of BBQ you are cooking...

For Pork the most prestigous is Memphis in May as that is what MIM focuses on. Ribs, Shoulder, and Whole Hog. It is certified as the largest Pork BBQ Contest in the World. This make the winner of Memphis in May the World PORK BBQ Champion

For Brisket it is the Houston Rodeo. Nobody does Brisket like Texas and this is the biggest, baddest Comp in the Lonestar State. You win this and you are the KING of Beef BBQ.

For KCBS it is the Royal. As KCBS is a style adapted all over the USA due to it being the premeire and most used sanctioning organization, this means you are the top amongst 5500+ BBQ Teams in the organization. You are the KCBS World Champion

Now that brings me to the Jack. The winner of MIM is invited to the Jack, the winner of the Royal is invited to the Jack, pretty much gotta be a Grand Champion at one (more times than most many) regional contests. Since the Jack is, unlike the Royal, composed of winning teams from different sanctioning organizations besides KCBS, I would argue that this makes the Jack Grand Champion the Overall BBQ World Champion as you have to be able to cook many styles of BBQ well in order to win.

Like I said, Just my view

Neil

Neil, I was trying to find a way to apply the appropriate perspective on each of them, and darned if you didnt do it (above).

+1

Careful though; you may accidentally lift a few folks' blinders.

Ronnie Cates was claiming a few years ago his contest was going to be bigger than All of them. Last I checked, the Big 4 are still there. And by no means is this any disrespect to those other contests that folks claim.

Back