Backyard contest in alabama

WOW! $12000 prize pool for a $200 entry fee - great ROI. And since there is no brisket category, that will save teams $50-150 in meat costs.

This is a contest I would love to see in CA

Good timing on this post! Last night the reps in the southeast had a conference call with Randy Bigler (KCBS sanctioning committee chair) about these new events.

KCBS has just started to sanction stand alone backyard contests. A backyard contest is defined as having chicken and ribs as a minimum. Adding pork would be an ancillary category.

There will be a Team of the Year points race in the FUTURE.

If you have placed in a KCBS Pro contest last year you are not eligible for backyard.

There are a TON of questions about this that is still being worked out. You will see some official statements from KCBS soon.

I think this concept will be good for competitive BBQ and should grow the number of events and teams.

Great to see this, hopefully it will grow.

With that said, might be the year for the wife to spread her wings. I guess I could wash dishes, that would be a first too....:p

This is exactly what is needed. I like the qualifying rules. Like you said, there are alot of questions to be answered. Hopefully one of the rules is that once you place in the top half twice, you need to compete in pro. Something like that would keep this as a "Minor League" program. I realize that there currently are very good cooks in current backyard, but a way to provide a more even playing field for newcomers is needed.

Good that some more contests are coming online to replace some of the contests we've lost in AL over the last few years that had backyard or were backyard contests. There's another in Chelsea that just got sanctioned a couple of weeks after this - not as big a payout vs entry fee though

Well ask & ye shall receive - Stokin the Fire is back in Bham in July now instead of Aug. New one in Fairhope as well so many new backyard contests in AL now just this year!!!

If you have placed in a KCBS Pro contest last year you are not eligible for backyard.

I would think this would be hard to enforce. What's to stop teams from changing their name to compete in a backyard event?

Depending how the sanctioned backyard bbq contests go it may get me to rejoin kcbs . I dropped my membership a few months ago. A lot of it was it really had no appeal to me since I was just getting started and looking to the backyard contests. Hardest problem with the backyard contests is just finding them.

Back