Brisket source in SF Bay Area

chicken

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Looking for a place to buy some prime whole briskets from. I am in the east bay but work in the South Bay so am pretty flexible on where I can go. The very few places I can find packers at only have choice. Also anyone know of a local source for good links to smoke? Not found anything decent so far. Thanks

Not sure about your area but Costco ALWAYS has them around here and for a great price. I'd walk in and say you're thinking of joining but want to look at the selection and I'm sure they'll allow you.

Beyond brisket the rest of their meat selection is great also. They've got me hooked despite living alone. The gas savings alone make up my membership cost.

Like above ^^^^^^^^^^^ - Costco has plenty of primes right now for $2.99 at least in southern Cali. Another option maybe Sams - I believe someone mentioned that you will have to talk to the meat department manager for ordering.

Vince

None of the Costcos in the Bay Area I have been to even carry a packer. They only sell flats if they carry it at all. The only place I have found that even carry packers is the business center Costco in Hayward and smart and final. Both of them only carry choice though. Thanks

I've never seen a prime brisket at Costco in the Bay Area.

I'd suggest Cash & Carry or Restaurant Depot as your best options in the Bay Area.

Just visited the cash and carry in Dublin and while they have a nice selection of serving materials and containers they do not carry any food besides some canned goods. Looks like I'll have to try another cash and carry. Are they open to the public? The Dublin store seems to be independent from the rest of the Bay Area ones and their website does not say anything about being open to the public. Thanks

Just visited the cash and carry in Dublin and while they have a nice selection of serving materials and containers they do not carry any food besides some canned goods. Looks like I'll have to try another cash and carry. Are they open to the public? The Dublin store seems to be independent from the rest of the Bay Area ones and their website does not say anything about being open to the public. Thanks

Here is the Cash & Carry you want, and yes open to the public

https://www.smartfoodservice.com/locations/CA/

Not to talk you out of primes, but I've had good results with the S&F big-ass briskets. Some need a fair amount of trimming though.

I live in the Bay Area and I'm also looking for a good packer brisket. The Costcos in the bay only have flats around holiday weekends. The only place I've seen a packer is smart and final and they are not even choice they are select! I've made them and they are ok but there is much to be desired. Anybody know of anywhere?

I have three jobs going in the bay area right now.
Maybe I could make some extra $ if I brought a few ice chests full of packers up with me next time. :p

Cash and carry in the bay area, smart and final in my town. Its where I get mine.

My son lives in Palo Alto. Whole packers are very difficult to get there. Tri-Tips, on the other hand are all over the place. He has perfected those.

Here in Houston area, getting a prime brisket is easy but finding a Tri-Tip is difficult. I am beginning to see more of them, however.

My son lives in Palo Alto. Whole packers are very difficult to get there. Tri-Tips, on the other hand are all over the place. He has perfected those.

Here in Houston area, getting a prime brisket is easy but finding a Tri-Tip is difficult. I am beginning to see more of them, however.

Yes you are right. Tri tip is huge around here. Ive heard its kinda hard to find else where. Funny how that works out

Thanks everyone for the info! Going to head down to the San Jose restaurant depot Thursday on my lunch break as I'll be in the South Bay for a meeting.

Anyone have any recommendations on brand of link/sausage and a place I can buy them in the Bay Area. I have not been found anything at local stores around me that are great. I always loved Bo's BBQ in Lafayette as he had some great links and sauce for them. To bad they closed :(. Thanks

Not sure who Bo's was using for their links. I really like Taylor's Meats in Swan's Marketplace in Oakland, CA. Lots of different sausages and a nice selection of pork.

Was driving through Oakland today and stopped at Taylor Sausage. Wow does their stuff looked good. Picked up three types of breakfast sausage and 4 types to try out on the smoker/grill.

I then stopped at the cash and carry in Oakland and they only had select and choice briskets so I then went over to restaurant depot. That place is massive! They had everything you could ever think of needing except prime brisket :(. So two strikes for me but I think the trip will be worth it for the Taylor sausage. They said they have not carried prime brisket in a while now. I'll try the San Jose cash and carry and RD next time I am down that way. Thanks

Back