• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Building a Catering Kitchen

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We started out like many with a mobile concession trailer doing roadside and catering. After 6 years now we've outgrown that set up and decided to build a commercial kitchen in the unfinished ground level basement of our home. It's going to be roughly 500sq ft. Initially with framing out, electrical and plumbing with equipment we were looking at around $28k. It's been one thing after another and we've upgraded a few things to make it better and gone with better and more equipment. We were dealt a blow when we found out we had to install a separate drain field for the commercial kitchen because the engineer would not sign off on our existing one. I had 8 rows in mine and he said my house was being handled on 2 of those rows. After he designed a new one for the kitchen build it has 3 rows which would still leave 3 rows unused in my existing drain field. Long story short he got $200 to sign off on my drain field and $850 to design me a new one. They just finished the new drain field at a tune of $5k and now I find out that the brand new 8ft hood system that I purchased is going to cost $4500 in labor to install :shocked: Anyways I'm setting closer to $50k now and still have a lot to do before I have a kitchen to cook out of. It seems it's never ending. Oh and dealing with contractors has been a learning experience too, seems they have different time schedules than I do. If I contract to feed you on X date at X, if you are not eating on that date and that time it's because you are not hungry and not because I'm not there with your food. Rant over :mmph::shock::confused::wacko:

Hope things get a little better. Seems like costs always exceed initial estimates.

Welcome to the world of dealing with the government building department. Wait for the health dept. Wish I could do this for our home, but our county says no.

We have a commercial kitchen in a building that is used as a private "resident" only recreation hall for a small mobile home property we have. We are on city water, city sewer, so all that was required was a grease trap to hook up to the city sewer. After permitting, hoods, equipment, fire suppression etc. it pushed $100K and it is 450 sq ft. The nice part is that it is state licensed so I have a commercial kitchen when needed and the business pays for it. Here there is also bi-annual inspections as well as fire suppression certifications.

It will be worth it when you are done, I learned to agree with what they required early on and they let some things slide later on in the construction.

I too hope things improve for you.....

Here in NJ, the Health Department tells us we cannot have a commercial kitchen with an entrance from the home, it has to have a separate outside entrance.

Here in NJ, the Health Department tells us we cannot have a commercial kitchen with an entrance from the home, it has to have a separate outside entrance.

Same here. I would love a HD approved kitchen, but alas the shop is currently being used as a museum for stuff that I only seem to hold in high regard.

-D

It has it's own entrance from the outside, but here in Virginia that is not a requirement.

Sadly, that is quite typical for any commercial kitchen project. It is maddening. We even had a project where I had to remind the inspector about his codes. He kept changing his requirements.

How can a vent hood cost $4k+ in labor?
I bet I could do it in a day. OK, 2 days. OK, 3 days.

How can a vent hood cost $4k+ in labor?
I bet I could do it in a day. OK, 2 days. OK, 3 days.

I'm with ya except for cutting 2 2ft square holes in the back of the hood and in the side of my house. The system also has to be tuned so that the make up air and exhaust air are pulling equally. I was worried that if I hired a jack leg and they screwed up it could cost me $20k so I decided to hire a reputable company. After calling around it seems the price is in line, even though I about died when I saw the price :shocked:

Venting a hood, from a basement, is going to be expensive.

The basement is not underground. They are simply cutting the hole through the side block wall and the fans are mounting directly on the exterior side wall 2ft from the hood inside. Total duct work for both make up and exhaust are less than 10ft. Like 2ft for exhaust and 6ft for make up air. It comes down to they know how and where to properly cut and not screw up the hood and or the wall.

All of that b.s. will behind you soon . Now you know you have done it right and to code and you can get back to why you started this crazy process. Putting out some quality Q that people will beat a path to your door to get. The hard part is over and now back to the fun part!

I am planning to have my own catering business. I know that it is a challenging and satisfying job. I want to be like my friend at Catering Raleigh.

Back