Less than select.,.I know I know.

NOHENS

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I did it. Bought new York strip steaks from save a lot for surf and turf tonight. Couldn't stop....5.99 lb. I feed a family of five dangit! Now...how can I attempt to cook these to med rare without shoe leather? Possible?:shock:

I don't understand this post- strip steaks are my favorite -are they paper thin or something ? :twitch:

1.5" steaks...get your coals hot and divide your grill into 2 sections, one direct and one indirect. Oil your grill and cook your steaks 3 minutes on one side, then move it to the indirect side for 3 minutes. Flip steaks and do the exact same thing. Keep the grill lid on...perfect for rib eye's and should do the trick for strips.

Are you saying they were a lower grade than USDA Select?
Any beef I've bought at their store has been ungraded(no USDA stamps) which would indicate either standard or commercial grade,and has been best used in stews,chili, or braised.
Kinda hard to make silk purse out of a sows ear:wink:
Cheers
John

GREAT!! Thanks Ron....I'll try this! I just couldn't resist the price?:oops:
Please let us know how they come out. I've used this method for years on choice, and it works great. I'm just not sure on cuts less than select grade.

Cheers
John

Many stores sell Standard and Commercial grades as store brand meat. Yes you do get what you pay for.

While store brands are not select and certainly not choice, your eye should be able to pick out a reasonably good piece of meat to grill.

I've have great store brand meat from my local stores.

As an FFA meat judging coach and former college judging team member , I am very familiar with beef quality grading. Most store brand beef falls into the Select grade. Commercial grade beef has Prime or Choice marbling - the reason it grades Commercial is not because of marbling , but because of the age of the carcass. Standard grade beef are young carcasses that have basically no marbling. While most store brand beef doesn't have much marbling , it usually has enough to get into the lower end of the Select grade.

As an FFA meat judging coach and former college judging team member , I am very familiar with beef quality grading. Most store brand beef falls into the Select grade. Commercial grade beef has Prime or Choice marbling - the reason it grades Commercial is not because of marbling , but because of the age of the carcass. Standard grade beef are young carcasses that have basically no marbling. While most store brand beef doesn't have much marbling , it usually has enough to get into the lower end of the Select grade.
Am I wrong then that meat without a USDA stamp is below Select ? Thanks.

USDA Beef Quality and Yield Grades

USDA Prime, USDA Choice, and USDA Select are usually identified on the label and the box. Standard and Commercial grades of beef are frequently sold as ungraded or as store brand meat and do not have to be identified as to the grade on the label or box. Retailers who do not wish to have their products graded may simply not request the grading service (fee), and they can remove the USDA grade shield from graded products.

A quality grade is an evaluation of several factors that affect palatability of meat (tenderness, juiciness, and flavor). These factors include carcass maturity, firmness, texture, and color of meat, and the amount of marbling within the meat.

The lesser grades: Utility, Cutter, and Canner grades of beef are seldom, if ever, sold at retail unless it is ground beef. These grades are usually large chunks from trimming or older, tougher animals that are strictly used to make ground beef and processed beef products.

Last edited:
Packers are not required to Quality grade carcasses. Inspection is mandatory , grading is not.

This was a cheap strip from Krogers. it cooked just fine. :thumb:

Last edited:
Back