1st Time Beef Brisket

Lowcountrydog

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have a Primo Oval XL and I have enjoyed many a good cook. I have avoided the beef brisket however because I heard how difficult is was to do correctly. I am now ready to attempt it this coming weekend.

Please give me your advice or links to previous posts on everything to purchasing the right brisket to cooking it to perfection- ( injecting, foiling or not)

Thanks!

Ray

Do a search on the Bludawg KISS method for brisket. I ignored it in my last brisket cook and paid the price. On brisket, Bludawg is the place to start. He'll probably be along shortly to set you straight.

I'm no expert. But I would look for a Choice brisket, Whole packer (untrimmed). Not a flat or a point. Probably in the 12-14# range. I would trim the dark fat off of the sides, trim a lot of fat between the flat and point but leave them connected (there are videos out there on trimming). I rub with Butchers Texas style steak and brisket rub but Kosher salt and black pepper work fine for a starting point. I inject now but probably wouldn't on a first cook. Wrap at 165f or when the color is good (getting to dark at edges). Cook till 190 internal and then start probing the thick part of the flat. You will feel the change when it goes tender. Somewhere between 195 and 210 probably. Pull and vent foil for 15 minutes. rewrap and let rest for 1-2 hours or until internal drops to 150. There's a lot more, but that's off the top of my head. good luck

Forgot to mention you can see the grain easily before cooking. Cut a corner off of the flat at 90 degrees to the grain so you have a starting point for slicing against the grain after cooking.

I rub my brisket about 12 hours before I cook it and put it in the fridge. Inject it with beef stock and rub about 10 minutes before I put it on the smoker. 1.5 hours per pound at 225. I wrap my brisket after taking smoke for 4-5 hours depending on the size. I only use packers. I have never had a problem with tenderness or taste and have gotten rave reviews about it. Brisket is like anything else. Dont rush it and it will be fine!

Watch these.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU"]BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZ39yYxeBk"]BBQ with Franklin: The Cook - YouTube[/ame]

To make a true central Texas style brisket you'll need four key ingredients, beef, kosher salt, coarse black pepper and smoke! Here's my method.
Start with a whole packer brisket. A whole packer consist of two parts, the point (fattier portion) and the flat (the leaner portion). Be sure and ask your market manager or butcher for that cut.
Once you have found your brisket, trim the fat cap layer down to about 1/4 inch or less. The idea is to have a thin layer of fat that will render down, marry up with your spice rub and become a sticky, crunchy and flavorful part of the bark.
After the fat has been trimmed down, I like to apply some cooking oil which helps the rub to adhere to the meat and activates the natural oils in the spices.
The spice rub will consist of a 50/50 blend of kosher salt and 16 mesh coarse ground black pepper. I like to dust mine with a little garlic powder as well but the important things are the salt and pepper. Coat the meat well with the rub and allow the rub to mix in with the oil for 30 minutes to an hour.
Heat the pit to 275 (different cookers like to run at different temperatures and you may be cooking at higher or lower temps but the method remains the same, only cooking time is effected).Smoke the brisket for 4 hours, after the first 4 hours wrap the brisket in butcher paper and continue cooking at 275, checking the flat for tenderness after 3 more hours of cooking. To do this simply find a sharp pointed object such as a thermometer or skewer and poke the flat in several places, (always determine doneness by probing for tenderness, not IT) when it has the feel of room temperature butter it's time to pull the brisket off of the cooker.
Allow the brisket (still wrapped in butcher paper) to rest on the kitchen counter for a minimum of 2 hours, at the end of the rest period it's ready for slicing. Slice against the grain and enjoy.:-D
Using this method I can usually get a 15 pound whole packer done in 7 to 8 hours (not counting resting time).:wink:

Do a search on the Bludawg KISS method for brisket. I ignored it in my last brisket cook and paid the price. On brisket, Bludawg is the place to start. He'll probably be along shortly to set you straight.
Yep! Bludawg's method and mine are very similar and either would be good.:-D

Back