• Green Leaf Lettuce for me

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • My turn in boxes are different for different meats

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • What's Kale? My boxes go commando

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nothing but positive... 1 bundle per box.. $4 for the kale.

We've been using kale instead of parsley in our pork and brisket boxes and LOVE it. Way faster and way cheaper.

We have been going with Kale this year. I posted Tracy making a kale box and our experiences and every contest so far my wife has shown different teams how she makes them. Met several BBQ Brethren because of this.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
Easy and affordable. Presentation scores have not suffered a bit. I'm sold.

Thanks for responding -- trying to get a feel for how the kale change has been for KCBS.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
Not allowed in PNWBA...so Rhana still does parsley boxes.:cool:

From a judge's point of view the kale is great. The meat comes out of the box clean.

Switching to kale this weekend. Played with it last night and after 5-10 minutes of experimenting we made a pretty decent looking box. I suspect with a little more practice we can make 4 boxes in ~30 minutes.

I REALLY like that the kale won't stick to the meat as much as the parsley does. I know that has to piss judges off (It would me too)

3 of our boxes are kale. Takes about three minutes to build and leaves more time for my wife to enjoy her wine.

Planned on using it in Brimfield, but that contest was cancelled. Will be using it at our next contest.

Last edited:
We have been going with Kale this year. I posted Tracy making a kale box and our experiences and every contest so far my wife has shown different teams how she makes them. Met several BBQ Brethren because of this.

Where was that posted?

Where was that posted?

On my Facebook page originally. Then I posted a thread on here but couldnt get a picture to work back in April. Fellow Brethren Kenthanson fixed it to where we could link the picture on here back then, but I cant get it to work to repost

Was talking to a KCBS master judge recently, and he mentioned a smell issue with the kale, noting a kind of "steamed kale" scent emanating from the box. Maybe one that had been sitting for 15-20 minutes before judging. Not sure how this would carry over to the taste and tenderness part of the judging process, but was curious if anyone else had heard that.

Freddy and Tracy converted me to kale in Owatonna. Used it this past weekend for a double. Turned out good.

OK crazy question here but will any kale work as long as it is green or is there a certain kind of green kale we are supposed to use?

Back