Equipment options

Wombat

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
We are getting a huge amount of support for our American Royal campaign with Yoder going above and beyond by supplying a YS-1500 for us to cook on for the events. In Australia we use a Yoder as part of our arsenal but normally compliment it with a locally produced vertical insulated water smoker so we are looking at options to give us a bit more room and flexibility in our cooking methods.
One option we are looking at is the purchase of a 22" WSM but we haven't used one before (a couple of team members have ProQs that are pretty close). I like the vertical insulated water smokers and imagine the WSM will give similar results.
The other option is to hire, buy, beg, borrow or steal (maybe not steal) a smoker from someone locally. I have gone through Ebay and CL but nothing jumps out at me in the second hand market. We are open to any suggestions

Cheers

Neil

I'm far from an expert but I really like my Drum Smoker, not bad on the budget, great cooking results and flexable.

If I were you I would call, or email Mike at Backwoods Smokers to see if he will have cookers onsite, or has a distributor close by that may be able to help you out.
Great company, great guy and if there is anyway they can help I am sure they would.

If I were you I would call, or email Mike at Backwoods Smokers to see if he will have cookers onsite, or has a distributor close by that may be able to help you out.
Great company, great guy and if there is anyway they can help I am sure they would.
ill try that. We don't have access to Backwoods in Australia but they are great looking units. Far better build quality than the only Australian built option in insulated cabinets. We have many builders here who build brilliant offsets and reverse flow units at least the equal of US imports such as Yoder or Horizon but we lack insulated cabinet options. Hopefully someone picks up a Backwoods or Lone Star Grillz distribution at some stage

Wombat,
They are good cookers. If you are into vertical insulated water cookers they rate right up there with the best if you ask me. I have one and I am picking up another on Monday to get ready for my fall cooks. I also have a Yoder YS 640 and love that equally.
If I was closer you could use mine, unfortunately I won't be close to that area this year, I found out that ankle surgery really slows you down when you are pushing 60 years old :roll:

A wsm would be an excellent budget purchase. Very easy to use and produce great results. I hear the gateways produce great results too but IMO the wsm is easier to use right out of the box to get great results. No offense gateway folks. I think they have a great product too.

If you decide to buy an inexpensive cooker for The Royal, print up some signs that say "Smoker for sale after awards" and display them at the front of your site. You should be able to recoup more than half of what you paid for it immediately.

Great idea. We will be in the US for a week or so before the Royal so we can scour CL and Ebay to see if something pops up

Are you looking for a smoker to use in KC for the Royal or back home? If KC, I have 2 ugly drum smokers you can borrow.
Just for Kansas City. We have plenty of pits back home but they are hard to bring over. The YS-1500 is a great unit but we normally like to mix things up a bit and need an alternative.

Yeah, you don't often find WSMs for sale because people like to keep them - but that's good news too because you can easily sell it for close to new. Anyway, it's an option but it looks like the Brethren have lots of help to offer already.

Keep an eye on www.AceHardware.com
They carry Weber, have stores nationwide and usually put smokers and grills on sale in the fall. You might have to call or visit a local store for the best clearance deals.

You could also offer to work out a deal with somebody in advance who will be at the Royal - a nearly new bullet at 25% off retail might be attractive to some folks.

If you happen to travel through Wichita on I-35 and can pick them up/drop off, I have a 22" and an 18" WSM you could use for the Royal. I also have a temp controller for each if you are so inclined. Let me know.

If you happen to travel through Wichita on I-35 and can pick them up/drop off, I have a 22" and an 18" WSM you could use for the Royal. I also have a temp controller for each if you are so inclined. Let me know.

PM sent

It sounds like you might have everything figured out, but if not you might want to check the facebook group called KCBS Team's for Team's which is meant for teams that want to travel either to or from the US to compete abroad. That might be helpful.

Back