• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Guinea Pig 2016

jimbloomfield

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Doing some practice for the Guinea Pig 2016 competition. Needing some practice, worked on Ribs and some Chicken . Only have photos of the ribs. Rub is sweet money sauce is IPO.
The ribs need a little heat in the flavor profile. The chicken the skin not bite through yet.
IMG_7552-XL.jpg

IMG_7554-XL.jpg

Cooked on a BPS Drum. The Guinea Pig is such a cool contest where your entry covers everything including all the meat.
Here is a photo of myself from last year with our box of meat. Also in the picture is one great Chicken BBQ Chef

Guinea%20Pig%20BBQ%20Competition%20Two0221-XL.jpg

The Brisket out of the box

Guinea%20Pig%20BBQ%20Competition%20Two0222-XL.jpg

Because of this all our practice meat. We walk into Costco or Sams and pick the first package we see. So far none have been as good as what i remember cooking last year.
Thanks to Big Poppa Smokers for putting this competition on
What other Brethren are going to the Guinea Pig?

That seems like a great competition. Heard a lot of people talk about it. Wish we had one around here like that.

That sounds like a great contest. Too bad my entry just left for AZ. Good luck!

We are making the long drive to the GPig
I really enjoy this contest
The BPS folks put on a great party

We got in by the skin of our teeth. There were only 3 spots left on 1-4 when I registered. Don't know if it's still open. Stop by and say hi. We will be the ones without an RV.

Mike
Rad Fondo BBQ

I'll see your "without an RV" and raise you a "without an RV, a generator or an inverter"

You win. I am bringing an inverter. I am also bringing some large propane heaters as it was very cold at night when I cooked there in November. Being too cold to drink beer is a very unfortunate thing.

I'll be cooking again this year as well. Looking forward to it and love the event. Easy to find me - I'll be the one without any kind of signage cooking next to a pick-up.

guys thank you so much. With contests getting cancelled left and right bakersfield is the latest and valley center...at some point KCBS needs to wake up and realize that a contest all in for $450 that has a $10,600 prize pool, kids que, desert and a Snake River Farms Weenie Roast... a pool for the kids....This contest brings the family back into bbq. Categories and overall pay 10 deep. Historically 60% cash a check and 20% break even or make money.....48 teams even tables....But it doesnt get a Jack Bung or Royal Draw or TOY points.

We are currently in the planning stages of one in Kansas City with our close friends and Competitors Kansas City BBQ Store, One Tuffy Stone and I are going to promote in Richmond and one in the south...hopefully Georgia.

In 2017 we look to have 8-12 GP style events nationally

Sterling, what kind of requirements do you need for a contest and location, et al. I really love the whole concept and think it would really go over well here. As a semi-retired cook, I could probably be talked into organizing or find an organizer, just because I would lIke to cook some thing lIke this!... good luck with the event.

We had a blast at the GP last year. At first I wasn't a fan of having meat provided, but after participating,it was actually a ton of fun for a few reasons. First, it was way less stressful before the comp since we didn't have to scramble around for meat. This saves me at least 1/2 day of grocery store hopping! Secondly, the meat draw is exciting! It's a challenge to take provided meat and try to make it great. As a pitmaster, it's even more rewarding to win with the same choice meat as everyone, than it is knowing you have a premium cut of meat going in. I'd like to see this concept grow and believe it is less intimidating for someone that is just beginning as well. Here's your meat.. cook it, turn it in..

Back