Louisiana grills colonial greenwood

ironbrew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm hoping to go look at a pellet grill that I believe is an older model of this unit. What can anybody tell me about it? Considering it is older, are there electrical glitches or upgrades I should be aware of or considering?

Thanks

IB

The really old Louisiana had a dial for temp as opposed to the exact number PID controllers. Even before that they had a paddle wheel instead of an auger. I would make sure it has at least a PID controller, and auger feed. As long as it works and has those features should be OK.

It looks like a twist knob with no digital display. I'm guessing no PID then. Pass on it?

Does appear to be auger style though.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how much you are getting it for. As long as it has the auger, you should be able to upgrade to the PID for 200 or less. If it's in good shape otherwise and you can replace the controller it may be worth it. You can run it with those controllers but it's strictly timing based, so very primitive to what is out there these days.

Pellet grills aren't that complicated. Most of the replacement parts are cheap so if you get a steal you can probably have it good as new for a few hundred dollars.

Back