African bbq ideas?

chargrill2369

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am interested in trying some african style bbq either chicken or beef. Does anyone have any recipes or tips for rubs or sauces?

unfortunately (?) we mostly cooked lamb chops when I was there...

but, I'll stay tuned.

also, you should probably specify a part of Africa you're thinking of...it's a really big place, and the food will vary quite a bit depending on which part

I have made some of the recipes out of The BBQ Bible that are Raichlens spin on African dishes but nothing traditional. I like to go to Recipesource.com which is not bbq only, but has recipes from all over the world including specific countries from Africa. That is a good place to look. I would imagine you can find a recipe to adapt to the pit.

Last edited:
Ethiopian with doro wats, tibs, injera and anything with berebere!

Didn't they used to BBQ missionaries? Wonder what wood they used??? :shock:

Northeastern Africa is going to be similar to Mideast food. Kofta, shwarma, kebabs, etc

Many cases you'll have to adapt...lots flat bread, rice, lamb, veggies

I have this recipe for a Braai salt but have never tried it. Accordng to some Googling, a tot = 25 mL = 5 tsp

Braai salt
WHAT YOU NEED (makes almost 1/2 cup of braai spice)

1 tot salt (I like to use high-quality salt flakes and then crush them.)
1/2 tot ground black pepper
1/2 tot paprika
1/2 tot crushed garlic powder
1/2 tot ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or chilli powder)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground allspice (pimento)

WHAT TO DO

If some of the ingredients are too big or coarse, solve the problem by taking them for a spin in your coffee grinder or give them some love in your pestle and mortar.
Put all the ingredients in a glass jar, then close the lid and shake it well. Use as needed to season steak, chops or chicken. The salt mix also works very well as a dry rub on large meat cuts like beef brisket or pork belly.
Over time you might develop more than one mixture for different meats. For chicken you might want to drop the cloves and the nutmeg and add an item like parsley.
Perhaps your pork spice will also have some mustard powder in it, for example. But then you would have to kick out one of the other ingredients, as there are already ten, which is a nice round number. Who wants his own tailor-made braai salt with eleven ingredients?

My Nigerian friends use Suya (a nut powder) on what ever they are grilling and then sprinkle it on after the meat is cooked. I used to keep it on hand and ran out. Haven't been back to the store in a long time (also where I get my ingredients for Asian dishes).

Okay, I am back in action.

The first things that come to mind in Southern Africa are biltong and boerewors.
Biltomg is another story.
Boerewors, you can either buy somewhere or make your own.

What else:
sosaties (sort of kebabs)
bunny chow (half a loaf of bread, filled with curry)
piri piri chicken
snoek

There is a lot of cooking in potjies (Dutch Oven), mostly with beef, carrots, potato, cabbage and wine or beer, typically called potjiekos.

Just google South African Braai recipes and you should be able to come up with plenty more :cool:

Back