ripped/torn foil - help please

darkoozy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I have been struggling with this for years....

I use Reynolds heavy duty foil to wrap ribs, and almost always end up ripping or tearing the foil at various stages of the cook.

How do you guys keep the foil from getting ripped.

1. Am I using crappy foil?
2. Do you double up the foil? Tried that, and that gets expensive over time.

Is there another better brand of foil out there thats heavier duty?

Thanks!

Double the foil or use a pan instead of foil. Also, spraying the bottom of the foil after wrapping with Pam helps to keep it from sticking to the grates.

I bought the thin foil from Sam's in the big roll and I have to double wrap to keep the bones from ripping thru. I never worried about the cost of foile before. I guess I don't cook enough.:sad: I only foil for 15-20 minutes and again when i take them off the smoker so I guess the odds of ripping are limited. The most I cook at one time would be 3 slabs. I also double wrap when I remove them because the foil is thin. I will buy the thicker stuff when mine finally runs out.

Reynolds HD is the best, IMHO. I've taken to using pans as Ron suggested. Otherwise, just be very gentle.

JimT

Also consider not wrapping super tight... Given an extra inch or so in both directions and that should prevent any bones from pressing up against the foil and puncturing.

Easy solution stop wrapping. :roll: I use foil on my Butts a double layer of HEBs HD has never leaked ...Yet:pray:

+1 ... I'm in his camp as well....

When I used to wrap i would put butts in half pans and foil over the top of the pan.. There are different thicknesses of foil, I used to buy the extra heavy duty at Costco....

Two solutions for you. 1-Stop wrapping altogether or the other approach that I use and like better is 2-Use Butcher paper. Difficult to puncture or tear, does all the things foil does except give you mushy bark and costs FAR less!

Meat side down. Don't slide it on the grates. Pick it up in the middle with rubberized insulated oven gloves

:thumb::thumb: Meat side down and wrapping loosely keeps the foil away from the ends of the bones, which is the major cause of ripped foil.

When your cooking/smoking your ribs? I do not wrap, tried it once and just did not like the texture i got.

If afterwards I always wrap mine in saran wrap first (also the 5M ft roll from same) and it helps keep the foil from ripping I also use Reynolds Heavy Duty from Sams and do not have issue storing - freezing

All good pointers!

Seems like I'll try a few techniques to keep the foil from tearing. Ya I wrap the suckers pretty tight and when I grab them the bones puncture the foil.

I am not a big fan of foil pans as they insulate the ribs from the heat and end up braising them more than simple foil on the grates.

Thanks guys! I'll even give not wrapping a try....

I used heavy duty foil. If I don't slide the ribs around it generally doesn't tear. But when it does, I just add another layer of foil and it's fine.

Back