Barbecued Pork vs. Pork Barbecue

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK, so I'm still needling through the whole definition of barbecue. Yeah, I know, it's futile. But, please bear with me.

Where I come from, pork isn't considered barbecue unless it is pull tender. Around here, pork barbecue is pulled or chopped (we call it minced) and is tender and moist and tasty.

Now, pork barbecue can be cooked either directly over coals at a relatively low temperature or it can be cooked using indirect heat from coals at a relatively low temperature. Relatively low being between 250F to 300F. Of course, smoke from a hardwood or fruit wood is essential.

To me, the distinction between grilled pork and barbecued pork when cooked over direct heat is pretty clear cut. If you cook a pork tenderloin over direct heat from coals until it is a nice medium rare to medium, it's grilled pork. If you cook a pork butt over direct heat from coals until it is pull tender, it's barbecue.

But, when it comes to indirect barbecuing, I think that muddies up the subject. For example, I can cook a pork butt at 275F with indirect heat from coals until it is pull tender and have pork barbecue. But, I can also cook a pork tenderloin using indirect heat from coals and it is done at a medium temperature of doneness and ready to slice.

So, with all that in mind, I am beginning to settle on a distinction between barbecued pork and pork barbecue.

Barbecued pork is cooked using the barbecue method of a relatively low temperature using indirect heat and smoke from hot coals until it is done to at least minimum safe eating temperature which means medium rare to medium to well done and is sliced and it not pull tender.

Pork barbecue, on the other hand, is pork cooked using the barbecue cooking method of relatively low temperature using indirect heat and smoke from coals until it is done to a minimum temperature that allows it to be pulled and tender. Of course, this would also fall into the category of barbecued pork but more specifically pork barbecue because barbecue is always pull tender. Think Venn diagram here.

So, what think, ye, brethren?

Around here pork that is cooked till pull or chop tender using wood or charcoal is called barbecue. Any other meats taken to pull/chop tender are "X" barbecue. Example beef barbecue.

Everything else cooked indirect to just done is referred to as "smoked". Smoked chicken, smoked pork tenderloin ect.

And of course if its high heat direct...its grilled chicken grilled pork ect.:thumb:

In my neck of the woods, the term "barbecue" is not used loosely. When we say barbecue, we mean pulled or chopped pork and nothing else, that's has been cooked direct or indirect over coals and or wood. Traditionally cooked low n slow over coals.

Everything else is just smoked whatever or grilled whatever.

In Virginia, smoked meat is usually pork that has been salted and cold smoked to preserve it like bacon and Virginia ham. So, technically, we really don't think of smoked meat in any other context.

Now, I understand the distinction. Barbecued meats are often referred to as "slow smoked meat" but that is, I think, an imported idea rather than something that I was taught growing up by my Dad that used to raise, slaughter, butcher, and smoke his own hogs.

What I am drawing is a distinction between the cooking technique and the product. Barbecued meat vs. barbecue. Both are cooked using the barbecue method but only one is the food called barbecue.

Barbecue = meat that is cooked until pull tender
Barbecued meat = meat that is cooked using the barbecue method regardless of tenderness

Barbecue = pork that is cooked until pull tender
Barbecued meat = meat that is cooked using the barbecue method regardless of tenderness

Fixed that for you. :becky:

I know what you and I agree with you, but that depends on where I am at the time as these definitions are largely regional. There are no universal definitions. As long as they are clear in your mind, that is most important. If you know the local definitions or those of the group you are talking with, that is even better. :thumb:

I'm aware of the regional takes on the definition of barbecue. But, big but, there is a well defined cooking method called barbecuing that is universal. What's not universal is the resulting product.

For example, in California, they call medium rare tri-tip barbecue. However, in Virginia, and it's been this way for centuries, beef that is cooked using the barbecue cooking method even just to medium rare is also considered barbecued beef. But, we don't think of it as "barbecue." It may be "barbecued" but it isn't barbecue. It's barbecued beef. Now, a brisket cooked to pull tender is barbecued beef and beef barbecue. A tri-tip or bottom round barbecued to medium rare is barbecued beef but we would never call it barbecue.

Hmmm.... after I thought about my post and your location I came back to say "whoops", but you had already came in and blew up my "smoked meat" as a catchall.

So I'm willing to call anything but pull/chop tender pork cooked with wood/charcoal "barbecued" X.

But, not one inch will I budge on that barbecue is pork cooked with wood/charcoal to pull/chop tender.:hand:

And that leaves "smoked" X to refer to meats and such that are usually preserved or part of a preservation process.

We really do need to clean up this name mess!

Psh, you think you've got it bad? We have to contest with the definition of BBQ being frozen burgers, crap sausages and the occasional chicken skewer which may or may not result in the ejection of all the previously poorly cooked food you might've eaten on a bun with some ketchup. In the rain.

Yeah, big problem there with barbecue pork vs pork barbecue... :mrgreen:

Hmmm.... after I thought about my post and your location I came back to say "whoops", but you had already came in and blew up my "smoked meat" as a catchall.

So I'm willing to call anything but pull/chop tender pork cooked with wood/charcoal "barbecued" X.

But, not one inch will I budge on that barbecue is pork cooked with wood/charcoal to pull/chop tender.:hand:

And that leaves "smoked" X to refer to meats and such that are usually preserved or part of a preservation process.

We really do need to clean up this name mess!

The confusion of what is and isn't barbecue is hundreds of years old. The verb "barbecue" has been used to refer to drying meat in the air, drying meat in smoke, preserving large cuts like hams in salt and smoke, and pull tender and moist meat be it pork, beef, poultry, game, etc. But, all of those definitions are related to the verb "barbecue" not the noun.

The definition of what is "barbecue" as in a noun to describe meat that is served is caught up in the confusion. I'm just trying to make sense of it so that I can discuss it with the least amount of confusion possible.

I'm just trying to make sense of it so that I can discuss it with the least amount of confusion possible.

I think you're muddying the water a bit yourself :icon_shy barbecue is barbecue is barbecue. There's no harm in providing a quick definition when discussing it, and you'll never find a universal definition that everyone agrees on

I can't remember where it is, but, there is some region that cooks butts to almost pulling stage, then slice and serve it. I seem to recall they call that barbeque, and folks consider it to be the equal to pulled or chop.

I disagree. As far as the verb "barbecue" goes, that is well defined and well documented. If there is confusion about that, it's due to ignorance, not regional differences. The noun "barbecue" is where the confusion comes in. There are some people in this country that call grilled hot dogs "barbecue."

Now, I don't know about the UK, and, actually, I don't care as it's outside the scope of my definition. But, in this country, a "barbecue" where hot dogs are served isn't a barbecue and has only become so through ignorant writers and marketers. There is no hot dog barbecue tradition in the U.S. and never has been. The same is true of hamburgers.

So, the real question is "What is barbecue the noun?"

I can't remember where it is, but, there is some region that cooks butts to almost pulling stage, then slice and serve it. I seem to recall they call that barbeque, and folks consider it to be the equal to pulled or chop.

Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn in Kentucky is one. But, they are in the extreme minority in the South.

That sounds about right, Kentucky, they do have some odd ideas about BBQ

Back