Barbecued Pork vs. Pork Barbecue

That explains the passion in this argument. Tight control of the word is important to many in the US and looks like it starts at the top.

The laws were established because of fraud. Some places were selling frozen "custard" that didn't have eggs in it. Some were selling ice "cream" that didn't have cream in it and some were selling "barbecue" they cooked in a crock pot with liquid smoke. Some probably are still selling those things with fraudulent labels. I do know that when it comes to the government's attention that such practices are occurring it will step in and demand corrections to the labels or claims.

There is a lot of ice cream being sold that doesn't have cream in it and hasn't for a long time. I vote against that with grocery dollars. Hey, I just discovered this Canadian is as passionate about ice cream as her American friends are passionate about the definition of barbecue. :laugh: :laugh:

Some of us are passionate about it because it's part of our heritage. I certainly fit in this a little.

Others of us just are anal-retentive on the misuse of terms; I DO fit this. The double-negatives used around here regularly drive me bonkers.

I did learn something on BBQ-Pitmasters this year though. Apparently my state BBQ's salmon! Of course, salmon aren't from here. When we cook it, it's most often grilled list most other fish or chicken that we put on a grill... But it's certainly not a Georgia "tradition". I can't believe Myron said that with a straight face. Honestly, I wonder how many takes that had to have before he was able to do it...

Some of us are passionate about it because it's part of our heritage. I certainly fit in this a little.

Others of us just are anal-retentive on the misuse of terms; I DO fit this. The double-negatives used around here regularly drive me bonkers.

I did learn something on BBQ-Pitmasters this year though. Apparently my state BBQ's salmon! Of course, salmon aren't from here. When we cook it, it's most often grilled list most other fish or chicken that we put on a grill... But it's certainly not a Georgia "tradition". I can't believe Myron said that with a straight face. Honestly, I wonder how many takes that had to have before he was able to do it...

Now let me see if I'm correctly following you. You were born in Alabama, Tuscaloosa in fact (The known center of the Universe). You have a heavy Louisiana AND a Cajun influence in your background. You have lived in Georgia for God knows how long, yet you persist in disclaiming, nay, are defiantly opposed to the very idea of, your own native tongue? You ain't no Surn'r I never hear'd of. :tsk:

You do talk purty though.

This cracks me up! I was born and raised in NJ where anything cooked on your gas grill is called BBQ. When I first moved to VA I taught that what I had been doing my whole life was grilling not BBQ-ing. Now if I cook it on my UDS its BBQ whatever it is.

The double-negatives used around here regularly drive me bonkers.

Now let me see if I'm correctly following you. You were born in Alabama, Tuscaloosa in fact (The known center of the Universe). You have a heavy Louisiana AND a Cajun influence in your background. You have lived in Georgia for God knows how long, yet you persist in disclaiming, nay, are defiantly opposed to the very idea of, your own native tongue? You ain't no Surn'r I never hear'd of. :tsk:

You do talk purty though.

At the risk of giving Deguerre a sure fire way to drive me bonkers, but to show my brotherhood (etc.) with you, Lake Dogs, I will right here and right now admit that an apostrophe used in plural, not possession, gets to me.

I had a cardboard box of teas I bought on sale and Carol wrote "tea's" on it. :mmph: She's a farker, alright.

Butcha know, getting this off my chest suddenly made it that less annoying. Dang, learnin' chit again on this forum. :becky:

It seems some people are and those people seem to want to call anything cooked on a grill barbecue. In that world, the word barbecue is meaningless and elevates Hardees and Burger King to the status of barbecue restaurants. They serve "barbecued" hamburgers.

The truth of the matter is, there is a distinct, well defined cooking method known as barbecuing and there is a distinct, well defined food that is barbecue. The same is true of butter and ice cream. In fact, they are so well defined that the U.S. government has had regulations for about 100 years on what can and can't be sold as butter, ice cream, and barbecue.

It's against federal law to sell a grilled hot dog and call it barbecue, BTW. The same for marinated meat that has been grilled or even a prime rib roasted barbecued to a perfect medium rare.

Happen to be in Suburban Chicago and out with the in-laws when I spy this. Didn't ask, but can pretty well guarantee you this is probably yesterday's Italian beef in barbecue sauce. Are you saying I found a hotbed of illegal faux Q?

401024D2-F478-4AD3-AA8E-FD5EF6F7AF01_zps0hiseakc.jpg

Happen to be in Suburban Chicago and out with the in-laws when I spy this. Didn't ask, but can pretty well guarantee you this is probably yesterday's Italian beef in barbecue sauce. Are you saying I found a hotbed of illegal faux Q?

401024D2-F478-4AD3-AA8E-FD5EF6F7AF01_zps0hiseakc.jpg

If that's so, don't let the Department of Agriculture hear about it. They have gone after several for that kind of thing.

That's not so bad. The state BBQ from Maryland is the hot dog, apparently, and if I'm reading things right, the state BBQ from Canada [sic] is ice cream.

Incidentally, I read on some website, not from Myron, that salmon was your state BBQ. Now, I've hardly spent more than a few days there, so I'm no expert, but I knew that I shouldn't read any further and went to a different website.

Found this in an old 1950's newspaper about backyard grilling. And people nowadays worry about cancer from charcoal. What you don't know just may be able to hurt you, apparently. Thank goodness for silicon and nitrile and PVC. Now that I've written that, in 50 years someone will dig up this post and make fun of those kinds of gloves in a horrified sort of way. :lol:

AsbestosGloves_zps70a88039.jpg

Yeah - that's like saying KC Masterpiece and Sweet Baby Ray's sauces are genuinely representative of Kansas City style BBQ sauce. Not to mention when BBQ Pitmasters did the inspected, injected, rubbed, smoked, and sauced Prime Rib as part of their KC style episode. We dumb hicks here in Kansas and Kansas City area never heard of such a thing! :mad2:

That's not so bad. The state BBQ from Maryland is the hot dog, apparently, and if I'm reading things right, the state BBQ from Canada [sic] is ice cream.

Incidentally, I read on some website, not from Myron, that salmon was your state BBQ. Now, I've hardly spent more than a few days there, so I'm no expert, but I knew that I shouldn't read any further and went to a different website.

Quoted from Lakedog:

I know what I've bought in grocery stores that said it was "Kansas City BBQ Sauce", they are typically very dark, very smoky, medium sweet, tomato base sauces. What is genuine Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce supposed to be like? Any brand names you can post to google or watch for when I'm in stores?

Back