Smoked Turkeys - Why not!

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Yep it is that time of the year to Smoke up some Turkeys for the Holiday’s.

We got 9 fresh Turkeys this year. Made my standard Turkey brine with salt, tender quick, garlic powder, onion powder, and brown sugar.
We inject every part of these guys until they are pumped up like Aaron Rogers in the State Farm commercial!
View attachment 104556
Then we soak them in the same brine overnight to assure they don’t leak out and no part is missed
View attachment 104557
I got these cool netting (stockinet’s?) from Brother Chris – They work great and much faster than tying them up
View attachment 104558
All nine in the Smoke House, waiting from some jerks to get the smoking started!
View attachment 104559
All right we are Smokin now!
View attachment 104560
Still Smokin!
View attachment 104561
The Jerks left but we are still Smokin!
View attachment 104562
Almost done, just add a couple more splits and call in a night (morning)
View attachment 104563
One last look before closing it up
View attachment 104564
When the temp started dropping, I shoveled out the coals, aired it out to cool and then closed it up for a few hours – It was 35° so this worked great

At daylight, this is what we have!
View attachment 104565
A closer look!
View attachment 104566
And a table full of bird!
View attachment 104567
I think we should try this one!
View attachment 104568
Here is the bounty of Birds and Jerky
View attachment 104569
This is the one we will have tonight – I sure like how the netting makes the cross hatch marks
View attachment 104570
We use an oven roasting bag with a cup of liquid in it to keep it from drying out and have some gravy makings – We just used water but use anything you want – broth, wine, beer, Etc.

The breast was moist enough to eat without juice coming out – Will be great for sammiches!
View attachment 104571
I love the dark meat and here is my taster plate
View attachment 104572
Half of these will be eating this week and the other half frozen and used around Christmas. Just thaw and use the oven bag method.

If you want to see the Jerky part, it is here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3104610#post3104610

Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
Dude. Now I know why they legalized that chit up y'alls way. DAYUUM! Those are some Mighty Fine Birds!

:thumb: :clap2:

Dude. Now I know why they legalized that chit up y'alls way. DAYUUM! Those are some Mighty Fine Birds!

:thumb: :clap2:

Thanks Bro! - MSD cooked all the necks and "parts" to make a broth and there is some Gumbo in the near future!

Nice Birds

"Made my standard Turkey brine with salt, tender quick, garlic powder, onion powder, and brown sugar."

Always looking for a new twist.
Do you think the tender quick helps add color to the meat?
What would the portions be per gallon of water?
Do you brine 12 or 24 hrs?:clap2:

Thanks for the help:clap:

Back