What type of container for brining turkey?

I can easily get one of those, does it leave a salty taste in the cooler or is the cooler good for water use afterwards?

I do a few birds at one time due to catering, but I get the jumbo large storage zip lock bags for from Lowes (hold 2 turkeys or if doing butts they will hold 3-4). Drop in a few birds and brine then in a cooler with some ice. Small amount of clean up is key, and don't make a mess of a nice cooler..... Use ziplocks!

if you're going to brine, check out stark boards disposable bags for 5 gallon buckets. makes clean up a breeze

Got a briner this year. Very excited to use it.

http://www.thebriner.com

Until now I have used a 5 gal bucket with a lid. Costs ya about 4 bucks from Home Depot. Works great. Wrap a couple bricks in foil and put them in a ziplock to keep the bird submerged if you need it

$30 for a 5 gallon bucket? That company needs to get on Shark Tank, because that price point is ridiculous... Nothing a $4 bucket from a hardware store and a ziplock with filled with water or a couple cans of soda can't fix.

I bought a 5 gallon food grade plastic bucket at Lowes. They have them by the pain section make sure it's food grade. I also use "star san" to sanitize the bucket. Make sure you add the water and then the Star San when you sanitize.

If you have a Bed Bath & Beyond, they sell turkey brining bags and pre packaged brine mix if you don't want to make your own. The bags are heavy duty and cost about $5 each. The brine is about $6. I used their brine mix and it turned out great. Much easier than finding the components for my own brine recipe.

Blessings,

Omar

I got two 5 gallon food grade free from the bakery at Publix. They get frosting in them. I'd expect other bakeries have them too.

The folks over at kitchn.com are saying to use the crisper drawer in your fridge with a bag or liner. Whole heaps better idea then trying to fit a bucket in the fridge or worrying about icing down a cooler.

THE BRINER is what I use. I've had mine for years and love it. I've used it for curing hams, brining up to 6 or 8 chickens, etc.

Fantastic product.

Before the Briner came along, I used to use 5 gallon buckets that I'd scrub clean and then double line them with trash bags.

I can easily get one of those, does it leave a salty taste in the cooler or is the cooler good for water use afterwards?

I have an old one that flew out of the back of a work truck and cracked the outside lining, so it became my brining bucket. You can fit two turkeys in it or up to eight chickens. I use a frozen gallon milk container to place on top of a single turkey to hold it under water and keep it cold. If I do two turkeys, I use a zip lock bag of ice to hold them down.

Everyone needs to realize if they use ice in a bucket to help keep it cold, as the ice melts, it will dilute your brine mixture.:mad:

I use a five gallon homer bucket with the black lid they sell. Works fine.
Wash it with soap and water first.

You can use just about anything as long as what the food touches is "food safe". I have used large stock pots, buckets, as well as coolers.

You can use a cooler with a cooler liner to give you the insulation factor when using ice, the cooler liner makes for easy clean-up.

Other than that 5 gallon buckets work great... Lowes sells 5 gallon food grade buckets and lids, or you can visit a bakery, deli, or any large grocery store with either. Most are happy to just give you the bucket and a light cleaning is all that is required.

If you can't get a food grade bucket you can use a non-food grade bucket with a food grade liner. I even use the food grade bucket liner in a food grade bucket simply for easy clean-up and sanitation.

The 5 gallon bucket liners and cooler liners can be found here... http://starkboards.com//Disposable_Cutting_Boards_files/widget0_markup.html#!/5-Gallon-Bucket-Liners/p/28037235/category=8946173
220818058.jpg

This looks like the real deal ... thanks for the link.

THE BRINER is what I use. I've had mine for years and love it. I've used it for curing hams, brining up to 6 or 8 chickens, etc.

Fantastic product.

Before the Briner came along, I used to use 5 gallon buckets that I'd scrub clean and then double line them with trash bags.

I bought a 5 gallon food grade plastic bucket at Lowes. They have them by the pain section make sure it's food grade. I also use "star san" to sanitize the bucket. Make sure you add the water and then the Star San when you sanitize.

I don't think we have that section at our Lowes.
sex020.gif

But, I've never looked for it :becky:

Back