How to Light a Charcoal Chimney

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The Easy Way. This is how I do it every time.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ScS5FskhE[/ame]

good except that most folks use the chimney so they don't get the lighter fluid taste in their food. Use the paper on the bottom or just put on the side burner of your grill.

LOL,... me too !! But get ready,... the "lighter fluid is bad" people are coming... it won't be long till some moron is talking about how they taste it..... If you can taste charoal lighter,... then somebody squirt it on the food, or the live fire while cooking ! :doh:

Why use the chimney if you are just going to use lighter fluid anyway? All you need is a few pieces of newspaper underneath, works every time for me.

No sense in using the chimney. The whole point is to avoid lighter fluid and light them from the bottom and move up. Not sure about the logic on this one

I bought a chimney so I didn't have to spend money on lighter fluid. I usually just light it with paper and sweep the garage while it's starting up.

Probably not the "easy" way. But there are easier things than cooking with charcoal.

When I light mine,... It burns all the way to grey glowing coals. Then it is dumped into which ever pit I'm firing up. Any taste or smell or whatever of the charcoal starter is long gone. I like the chimney starter for the same reasons everyone likes them. The ability to place a desired amount of hot, ready to go, coals where I need them.

When I light mine,... It burns all the way to grey glowing coals. Then it is dumped into which ever pit I'm firing up. Any taste or smell or whatever of the charcoal starter is long . gone. I like the chimney starter for the same reasons everyone likes them. . The ability to place a desired amount of hot, ready to go, coals where I need them.

Exactly. A Place to light coals not a Way to light coals.

Why use the chimney if you are just going to use lighter fluid anyway? All you need is a few pieces of newspaper underneath, works every time for me.

To keep the smell/taste of lighter fluid out of your cookers. Some say it gets in the cooker and they can taste it.

To keep the smell/taste of lighter fluid out of your cookers. Some say it gets in the cooker and they can taste it.

No - cuz in my offset I just squirt it on charcoal in firebox. It's a place light up 12 charcoals to dump on unlit in charcoal basket in my UDS and Cabinet smoker.

No - cuz in my offset I just squirt it on charcoal in firebox. It's a place light up 12 charcoals to dump on unlit in charcoal basket in my UDS and Cabinet smoker.

I wasn't trying to say it was your reason...just a reason. Goes along the lines of no one way to do anything.:-D

I wasn't trying to say it was your reason...just a reason. Goes along the lines of no one way to do anything.:-D

:mrgreen:

You need to post a few Pipe Vertical Cooks - and get someone to center up your exhaust.

:mrgreen:

You need to post a few Pipe Vertical Cooks - and get someone to center up your exhaust.

The exhaust bothered me for a long time. I had just gotten over it. Thanks for the reminder.:tsk:

The exhaust bothered me for a long time. I had just gotten over it. Thanks for the reminder.:tsk:

Buy a Plow Disc and have a place cut top off and weld Domed Plow Disc on with center smoke stack and rain cap. :wink:

Back