Vietnam Vet BBQ for the families

The outpouring of support for this event is very heart warming. Thanks so much. We are the lucky ones that get to see the happy faces so I really appreciate the support that is standing strong behind us. :)

Let me add my appreciation, as the person who keeps committing other people to do the work, I also appreciate all of the support and generosity that has been shown. We will be able to have an outstanding event for the soldiers and their families, a most rewarding experience.

I am a Vietnam Vet and very sensitive to the financial difficulties of the military and their families.
We are doing a BBQ for the troops and their families on Dec. 13th. My BBQ buds and myself are committed to feeding up to 400 people on Dec 13 at Camp Parks in Dublin, CA. This is the only time when the returning troops have a time to meet with the deploying troops and their families. We are doing this for the 368th Military Intelligence Battalion Christmas Party and Send-Off event.
We will be feeding them pulled pork, tri-tip, grilled chicken breast, mac and cheese, veggies, hot dogs, chili and Caesar salad. We will have a professional Santa (Veteran) and the USO will be helping us out with plates and stuff.
Any help you can give us towards the cost of the food (we will be cooking and serving it all) would be most appreciated.
We need to raise about $2600 to get this going. Donations can go to martyleach@yahoo.com on paypal.com.
Thanks so much.
Marty

You go Marty. When I bought the MKT I made some new friends and many of them were at the local VFW and so many are Vets. I remember as a child seeing these "older boys" go off to war and I will never forget the day I was told as maybe a 6 year old that my buddy Brian would not be coming home. It was so sad and to this day it sort of smarts.

What touches me now is Brian is frozen in my mind as an 18 year old.............I remember his eyes.....and until started going to the VFW and meeting these men I never realized that those young eyes are still there.... just older. I cannot believe how time has gotten away.

I will say a prayer for you mission and anyone who helps. I totally "get" what you are saying... I cannot fathom any of my new friends... or Brian... coming home and having to suffer. I cannot imagine doing all they do --- our newest veterans and coming home to those worries so keep it up marty.

Was remembering last year when we ran out of hot dogs before all the kids came through the line. We had outstanding pulled pork, tri-tip, grilled marinated chicken breasts and mac-n-cheese, and soldiers were taking hot dogs too.

Marty and I briefly considered the idea of a kids hot dog table, but, a friend who just got out of the service mentioned to me that when you are serving overseas, you don't think about fancy foods, you think about burgers and hot dogs. So, I think we will double up.

Thanks again for all of your support everyone!

Was remembering last year when we ran out of hot dogs before all the kids came through the line. We had outstanding pulled pork, tri-tip, grilled marinated chicken breasts and mac-n-cheese, and soldiers were taking hot dogs too.

Marty and I briefly considered the idea of a kids hot dog table, but, a friend who just got out of the service mentioned to me that when you are serving overseas, you don't think about fancy foods, you think about burgers and hot dogs. So, I think we will double up.

Thanks again for all of your support everyone!

Best go by previous experience as you know this group. My personal experience is that when given the choice, kids always go for the good stuff, the pulled pork, tri-tip, etc., and will skip the hot dogs and burgers. I don't know how many times I've seen parents eating hot dogs and looking longingly at the steak and lobster their kids are eating. It certainly doesn't hurt to double up on burgers and dogs though.

Campdude, Offthehook, and I cooked many 100's of hotdogs a little while back - I fell in love with the donut rack - I looked for ones that weren't chromed - at least I don't think they were. You can stack 'em criss cross and greatly increase capacity. We actually figured next time we'd bring less cookers and slow down 'cause we got too far ahead and had to hold a little longer than we would have liked.

Here's where you can see the setup.

If I didn't have so much going on around that time I'd love to head up there - one of these days for sure though! It's been something I've wanted to do for a long time.

I remember that cook GTR, that was nuts.

Gore, these guys ate everything, but the cole slaw. Who eats pulled pork and not the cole slaw?

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Last year we walked away with a bunch of cole slaw the Army and their families didn't eat. I think BBQ folk understand how good cole slaw is with pork but lotsa people don't and don't seem willing to try. Solution..... no cole slaw this year. Buy more hot dogs!

I would blame it on being a California thing, except that many of these soldiers are not locals. And many Californians come from the South, so they get cole slaw.

Although, it is still funny, when you sell sandwiches, it is better to ask, some folks just really do not like cole slaw on their pork.

Last year we walked away with a bunch of cole slaw the Army and their families didn't eat. I think BBQ folk understand how good cole slaw is with pork but lotsa people don't and don't seem willing to try. Solution..... no cole slaw this year. Buy more hot dogs!
Yankees still have much to learn. Never heard of slaw on a hot dog. Thanks Marty.

Got the $2600 but wish I would have aimed higher. The price of pork and beef is way up from last year. Thanks everybody for your help in getting to this point.

Got the $2600 but wish I would have aimed higher. The price of pork and beef is way up from last year. Thanks everybody for your help in getting to this point.

So, let's see if the brethren can bump it up a little more...

Back