very hot drum

bigrob6272

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hopefully soon, like this weekend this will be my fist uds. Just burned the rust proofing out of it tonight I hope.

Attachments

• 20150519_192930.jpg
    20150519_192930.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 269
Thank you now all I have to do is figure out how to make the coal basket and mount all the hardware.

Adam (cfarmer) did this for his UDS. You can alacart these parts. This nest basket will allow you to have more than just a UDS...you'll have a great grill too. It comes with all the necessary hardware. The nest will have two levels...lower for smoking and higher to grill right under your cooking grate, then the lower ubolts can hold another cooking grate.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/nest-assembly-for-drum-smokers

Adam (cfarmer) did this for his UDS. You can alacart these parts. This nest basket will allow you to have more than just a UDS...you'll have a great grill too. It comes with all the necessary hardware. The nest will have two levels...lower for smoking and higher to grill right under your cooking grate, then the lower ubolts can hold another cooking grate.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/nest-assembly-for-drum-smokers

Yup, I am too cheap to buy the whole big poppa kit.

I got just the basket kit. Came with all the hardware for the upper and lower positions.

I bought the rest of the hardware at Lowes.

Yup, I am too cheap to buy the whole big poppa kit.

I got just the basket kit. Came with all the hardware for the upper and lower positions.

I bought the rest of the hardware at Lowes.
Cheap bas**** lol :wink:

I think I like Cowgirls charcoal basket nice and simple and i don't have a welder to weld the expanded metal to a webber grate to make the one Norco made.

I think I like Cowgirls charcoal basket nice and simple and i don't have a welder to weld the expanded metal to a webber grate to make the one Norco made.

It was really quick and easy to make and has lasted a long time.

I built my drum with a piece of expanded metal in the bottom for burning wood. The basket sits on it.

053.jpg

If you wanted to skip the expanded metal wood grate, you could put "bolt" legs on the basket to keep it off the bottom of the barrel and above the air intake holes.

I build my drum in the winter of 2007, it has worked great.

Good luck with what ever you come up with!

Doing my first test run on my new uds. Used a full chimney of lit coals and the coffee can method and with all my intake vents clised I can't get it below 300. Should I start with less lit coals tomorrow when I do my cooking?

Doing my first test run on my new uds. Used a full chimney of lit coals and the coffee can method and with all my intake vents clised I can't get it below 300. Should I start with less lit coals tomorrow when I do my cooking?

I'd start with 1/2 or a little less and let the pit come up to temp. No reason to burn more charcoal than you have to. When you get toward your target temp ease off on the gas and back off on the air.....small adjustments is better than big ones.

The titanic doesn't turn on a dime.

Best of luck on your test run. To me it's the bottle opener that puts the UDS over the top (LOL). Been quite a week of barrel love with the PBC and UDS build threads. Great ingenuity all around,

Start with about 6 or 8 lit coals, begin closing intakes one at a time as the temp rises so you don't go over your target temp.

I appreciate the advice this is my first uds and thought it would take a good amount of heat to bring it to temp

To me it's the bottle opener that puts the UDS over the top (LOL),

Here Bob this rustic one will look fantastic on your shiny new drum. :becky:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rustic-Bottle-Opener-Vintage-Style/dp/B008LYT86O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1432424175&sr=8-5&keywords=bottle+opener"]Amazon.com: Rustic Cast Iron OPEN HERE Bottle Opener Vintage Style Wall Mount MAN CAVE: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DQP81GqdL.@@AMEPARAM@@41DQP81GqdL[/ame]

Back