Turn in at a backyard contest

Svenmac

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
There is a contest coming up here a little later in the spring around here and its a backyard contest. Has anyone here done a backyard? How do you turn in your meat. Is it like a KCBS box or something else?

Thanks for the info

Out here in AZ, they let Professional teams also do BY contests. We've done 2 BY's and are doing our third this weekend. In AZ, presentation is a big factor. BY turn-ins can be presented in almost any manner as long as it can be carried to the judges by one person. For those that dont want to get fancy, styro boxes are provided.

I know that BY turn-ins are done differently depending on the venue/organizer.

Best of luck to you.

We did a backyard before. The categories were ribs, chicken, and chefs choice. The ribs and chicken turn-ins followed the KCBS format. For the chefs choice you could use any garnish you wanted to, and submit your entry in the KCBS box or your own container or platter. When it comes to backyard contests, it really depends on the individual organizer or contest. GOOD LUCK and have FUN!:p

Thanks for the advice. Just trying to get my feet wet and test hte water before I just in with the sharks

Since there is no sanctioning body for the backyard contests every one is different, so you should check with the organizer to see how they want things turned in.

^^^^ What Cap'n Ron said. Every backyard comp is different. Some allow garnish,
some dont. You'll want to ask the organizer. Even then, be prepared for a last-minute
change; it's been known to happen...

Back