im confused about how comps work

You can't just go and "taste" entries at a comp. You have to become a certified judge. go here http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php and look for a class that is near you. Take the class, then apply to judge at a comp. Don't tell the organizer "I need to judge so I can taste comp bbq." Ask them if they need any judges. Sometimes they take a few backup certified judges just in case of a no-show on the day of the comp. They can always use some help, so even if you don't get to judge, you may be asked to help at the turn in table, etc. Sometimes the volunteers get to sample from the "grazing table" after judging is over. Anyway man, good luck. I am about done reading this thread, my brain hurts.

yeah my head hurts to. I have been on some serious pain killers this last week when i blew it out on sunday. haha.

Thanks for the info. i will continue on from here. We can close this thread if needs be. I have a starting place i can go now. thanks for the link. i will let him know about it. thanks for all the help and may the Q be with you!

Yeah i saw Rythm and Q there as well as the twins. Im not saying it was them. What im saying was what the other winning teams had said about other winning teams, which leads me to believe that they are all pissed off at each other. The buying thing was what i have said many times already, it was something i have heard many a times from many a teams down here.

That is why i asked the question because i am asking brethren who have no relation to the teams here and can tell me which is bull sht and which is not bull sht. haha. So according to your post and many others, i believe i was stuck in the middle of a bull sht fest and teams pissed off at each other. hahaha. so im glad you guys are here to tell me what is going on so thank you much. i mean that

The twins, who own R and R bbq in slc are pretty cool. I have known them since 2007. The only issue i have ever had with them was when i first met them, i had not started bbq yet, they said this was there first year cooking and were still learning for comps. But then later on i find out they have been cooking for years so i was confused why they were not honost with me at the time. Other thatn that, i have been good friends with them and trying to get out of the bs fest haha.

OK Im done with the discussing this part of the thread. I really really want to move forward now.

Is there a specific person i need to speak with so we can judge as a guest to at least taste the Q and see how it is supposed to be done?

Will it cost me money to judge as a guest?

EDIT

Thanks for helping me filter through everything and teaching me the correct principles and if i came off as a jelous person, please forgive me, i just felt confused and to my surprise upset at things i have heard about comps. I was thinking it was the teams way of scaring off newbies so there is no more compitition.. sorry for any upset feelings this may have caused.

This might be a good time for you to just focus on cooking.:becky:

LT, offer to help a comp team. Then you can taste some of the food they are producing. You are laboring under a lot of misconceptions about competition BBQ in general, and about the judging, process and food in specific.

Focusing on the food, when you say your friends (where this all started) make great Texas BBQ, it is vital to note, that Texas BBQ is not balanced, it is meat centered, and heavier on the black pepper profile end of the spectrum. Competition BBQ is balanced, it has to have salty, sweet and heat, in proper proportion. I know you have take culinary classes, so I assume you understand that in fine dining, you rarely present a dish spice so heavily to an extreme that the other tastes are undetectable. This is the same with competition BBQ, and adjusted for the limit of one or two bites.

There is no way, well, almost no way, that a typical KCBS or other sanctioning body can have judging run with any graft, there are too many things put in place, including identical boxes, two number changes, no team names on turn-ins, isolated turn-ins from judging, to allow for any funny games.

As for the rigs, every team does what it wants, and invests what it wants. But, do some of the big boys, with fabulous smokers win do better? Yes. But, you are following the logic wrong. They do better because they put more effort, time and money into having success follow them. Rhythm and Que have kicked butt from the time they were rookies, and they cook on WSM's, as do several other great teams. But, surely, there is an advantage to cooking one very nice cookers, all the time.

Your friends and you would be well advised, instead of insulting the players, getting a better understanding of the game. He finished 27th, because a bunch of people, 24 in fact, felt he deserved that.

I would guess there could be a case made for the guys with the big rigs having more success that they are more comfortable and better rested than someone sleeping in a lounge chair next to their smoker. I know in a comp I cooked in August that when the trailer I borrowed to cook out of started getting hot in the Kansas sun and the a/c couldn't keep up that it caused me to rush a little in slicing and boxing just because I was so hot. With a big rig and well air conditioned I think it would be a little less stressful for them to do their best work. I know many people are not bothered by the heat, but it wipes me completely out.

Another way to look at it:

A big rig or fancy smoker doesn't help you win, but consider that people buy the big rigs are doing so because they are cooking lots of contests and value things like sleep, toilets, showers, etc. (Cook 20 contests, and you may be spending 1.5 months a year living at cook sites.)

There probably IS some connection between cooking a lot of contests, and success. (Do teams cook a lot because they are enjoying success, or they are good because they cook a lot? Chicken and egg - take your pick.)

The team that cooks 2 contests a year is probably going to find it difficult to go against a team cooking 20 or 30.

The big rigs don't help you win, but a big rig is a sign that someone is cooking a lot and taking it seriously, so it wouldn't surprise me to see more of the big rig teams in the winner's circle.

LT, offer to help a comp team. Then you can taste some of the food they are producing. You are laboring under a lot of misconceptions about competition BBQ in general, and about the judging, process and food in specific.

Focusing on the food, when you say your friends (where this all started) make great Texas BBQ, it is vital to note, that Texas BBQ is not balanced, it is meat centered, and heavier on the black pepper profile end of the spectrum. Competition BBQ is balanced, it has to have salty, sweet and heat, in proper proportion. I know you have take culinary classes, so I assume you understand that in fine dining, you rarely present a dish spice so heavily to an extreme that the other tastes are undetectable. This is the same with competition BBQ, and adjusted for the limit of one or two bites.

There is no way, well, almost no way, that a typical KCBS or other sanctioning body can have judging run with any graft, there are too many things put in place, including identical boxes, two number changes, no team names on turn-ins, isolated turn-ins from judging, to allow for any funny games.

As for the rigs, every team does what it wants, and invests what it wants. But, do some of the big boys, with fabulous smokers win do better? Yes. But, you are following the logic wrong. They do better because they put more effort, time and money into having success follow them. Rhythm and Que have kicked butt from the time they were rookies, and they cook on WSM's, as do several other great teams. But, surely, there is an advantage to cooking one very nice cookers, all the time.

Your friends and you would be well advised, instead of insulting the players, getting a better understanding of the game. He finished 27th, because a bunch of people, 24 in fact, felt he deserved that.

True. fine dinning i can do, maybe i just need to transfer those skills over to bbq haha.

What really confused me was when i tasted my friends food and then he lost, i had NO IDEA how things were judged. I did not know that bbq follows a trend and depending on which judge is judging can really effect your score. What tastes balanced to you my be out of whack for someone else. Maybe their taste buds are out smoked and are to sensitive. Did not know how many factors played into it.

So how do they account for when a judges taste buds are burned out sorta speak? I mean alot of things can destroy your sense of taste and eventually your taste buds get used to the falvor... is that why they have multiple judges?

thanks

Last year was our first full year of contests. We had done only a single contest the year before. At that original contest it was easy to be jaded about judging as everyone seemed to know each other and I figured the judges were the same every year so they could recognize a "friends" food even if unmarked and so on. There was more then one team there that had been on BBQ Pitmasters and so being honest I figured we had no chance. I was wrong. We took 3rd in ribs and 6th in pork. We were hooked.

Fast forward to the start of last year and my dad goes with me to help setup on day 1 and the place is LOADED with rigs so crazy I have never even seen anything like them outside of a venders booth. 80+ teams and even more big names with 5 digit cookers.

It was me and my wife with an Onyx Oven and a WSM....LOL

We ran solo and I didn't sleep a whole lot. Everyone was great and we had a blast. So much fun the eventual crushing we were about to take didn't seem so terrible. I was wrong again. We took 1st in chicken, 12th in pork and 6th overall. We went on to have a wonderful year of similar results.

Contests are not perfect and they all have flaws but in my experience anyways........judging favoritism towards big rigs or big names is not one of them.

Don't go into a contest thinking there's no way you can win. Cook great BBQ and you will hear your name.

Back