UDS Build question

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Been looking for a 55 Gallon drum and finally found a good one. Was a quaker state oil drum but still has the top.

Can I cut the top off of it? Will that work? I can grind down any sharp edges to smooth it out but I want to know what you think.

Thoughts?

You absolutely can cut the top off the drum. Use a hacksaw blade in a sabre saw, or a drum deheader, or even a cold chisel and hammer. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes whatever method you use. Be sure to hammer and file down any sharp edges.

Sterling

I used a 16 oz hammer and a 1/2" cold chisel to open my drums, real easy. But it is a bit loud!

Drill your intake holes at the bottom before you cut, especially if you are using a grinder. This because there may be residual oil inside. Even motor oil can vaporize with the heat created from a grinder. And oil vapor can be very explosive when contained. Maybe knock some other holes in the lid with a chisel and hammer first too.

Im not sure what other precautions can be taken for this, some water in the drum?

There was a kid at a school who was killed recently when cutting into a motor oil drum that exploded. someone posted the story.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I will def punch some holes in the lid and drill my vent holes before cutting open the top!

Drill your intake holes at the bottom before you cut, especially if you are using a grinder. This because there may be residual oil inside. Even motor oil can vaporize with the heat created from a grinder. And oil vapor can be very explosive when contained. Maybe knock some other holes in the lid with a chisel and hammer first too.

Im not sure what other precautions can be taken for this, some water in the drum?

There was a kid at a school who was killed recently when cutting into a motor oil drum that exploded. someone posted the story.

I remember reading that. It was peppermint oil. Can't be too careful...

Maybe others will chime in but I am not sure you want to use a drum that had a petroleum substance in it. It tends to impregnate the metal and may not burn out. Just my opinion. Do you have a bakery in your area. I have a friend that runs a local bakery and I can get all the drums I want for FREE that had a food grade vegetable oil in them.

Maybe others will chime in but I am not sure you want to use a drum that had a petroleum substance in it. It tends to impregnate the metal and may not burn out. Just my opinion. Do you have a bakery in your area. I have a friend that runs a local bakery and I can get all the drums I want for FREE that had a food grade vegetable oil in them.

I'd guess over half the UDSs out there, are made of a drum that contained a petroleum product. It burns out real easy, and you are left with a nice drum with no dreaded epoxy liner to deal with.

Most UDS folks I've heard or read of around these parts prefer a non-lined drum to start with, it's easier to clean out. If you're really worried about it, then I would suggest a trip to the local farm co-op for some overpriced greens :twisted::wink:

Back