Mexican Mesquite charcoal...??

T-Man

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I went to party a while back , they were grilling (some of it indirect) with some Mexican mesquite. This stuff burned slow like over 6 hrs. also it did not leave a strong mesquite taste . They were just given it and did not know jack about it...Anybody ever deal with it ??

Hmm, all I can say is that the Lazzari lump mesq charcoal that I use is made in mexico... I kinda dobt that they haul trees from the US to mexico to charcoalize them and then haul them back...

The lump does burn for a decent amount of time, but usually the chunks are log sized pieces about 5-6" diameter and 7-12" long.

It's really dense stuff even in charcoal form. Even whacking it with a hammer doesn't always break it into pieces the first time.

I should not have used the word "charcoal " . It was large sized lump , looked like it still had some moisture in it..

Last edited:
I have used some lump mesquite when I lived in TX. It was awesome for grilling, without the dark mesquite flavor. The one thing I recall though, was it popped and sparkled alot.

Over here in Socal, they sell the best of the west brand and it's pretty decent. It does sparkle a whole bunch and it's perfect for grilling.

Being from south Texas I use actual mesquite splits and mesquite lump ALOT. It's great stuff and yes it does pop alot so I'd be careful on really hot dry summer days in grass. I buy it from mexican meat markets and its pretty consistant it burns clean and it's great for grilling. I haven't gotten a 6hr burn but minion I'm pretty sure you could. I use a Weber Kettle for most of my grilling. I should have posted pics of the marinated chicken legs I did tonight with mesquite lump from Culebra Meat Market.

I've been getting Best of the West Mesquite Lump Charcoal at Sam's. It has very large dense pieces that burn very slow, and put off a very mild pleasant taste to the food. When using it in my WSM, when I refuel I toss on about 3 big chunks (logs really) and get an 8 hour burn from those 3 chunks at about 250 degrees.

100_0077.jpg
this is what I use . it crackles and pops a bit. I think it's the moisture in the lump charcoal:confused:

I have used Lazzari and like it.

Burn a lot of Mesquite logs in the fireplace and it naturally pops and sparks, need to keep any carpets away from the fireplace as it will send flying embers out a couple feet. .

Here in SoCal the mesquite lump from Mexico is what is most abundant. Does spark quite a bit and the pieces are very large, but leaves a nice flavor, not overpowering.

Back