• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

LG vs XL Big Green Egg

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you that use the Big Green Egg.

Given the choice and if money is not a concern, would you by a
Large or an X-Large Big Green Egg.

Is there any down side to the XL Green Egg? Does it cook as good or better then the large?

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

for me, the xl is just too heavy cause i move my eggs around so much. the reason i got the medium as my first egg was so i could pick it up and carry it into the rv for the nascar races. i strap it down between the twin beds in the back.

i'd say get the large and if that ain't enuf for ya, get another large.

with that said, i've never cooked on an xl, but i've seen one in action before.

In looking at the BGE website, it looks like there is more space (not cooking surface) between the grate level and the dome on the Large compared to the XL.

Is the picture deceiving or are the dimensions not exactly proportionate for all models ?

In looking at the BGE website, it looks like there is more space (not cooking surface) between the grate level and the dome on the Large compared to the XL.

Is the picture deceiving or are the dimensions not exactly proportionate for all models ?

i've never measured it, but it really looks different, the height of the dome. but you need to measure to the grid. the xl has an optional shorter fire ring i think (or is that taller, anyway, there's two), and you can put the grid on the firebox if you want.

that firebox on the xl is HUGE. i'm going to guess you'll use more lump just because the ceramic mass you are heating is larger. ask yerself how many times you'll need a 24" diameter grid compared to an 18" grid.

I have had two larges (one I resold before I ever cooked on it) and I now have an XL. I honestly like the large better. They are both GREAT cooking machines but the XL does cook a bit differently. The lump is much closer to the cooking great and so cooking without a plate setter is really iffy. The dome is much shallower as well.
The large has a lot more accessories and if you use a double cooking grate setup you can cook as much as with the XL. As Rick mentioned, the firebox on the XL is much larger and you do use a good bit more lump.

Don't get me wrong... I have made the adjustments and feel like I can cook just as well with the XL as with the large but I would trade you for a large and a medium or small in a second!!!

But WITH the platesetter, how do they compare?

Well... as far as the actual cooking there is still a little bit of difference. Not a lot but a little. I think it has to do with the lump being closer to the bottom of the plate setter.

The real difference is in the ability to use the plate setter in different ways. With the large I felt comfortable putting the plate setter right on top to the fire ring so I could use two cooking grates. With the XL I have been reluctant to try it because the platesetter would be sitting basically right on top of the coals. I've heard of a two inch ring that you could put on the firebox but I have never actually seen one. That would help.

Like I said... I do really like the XL. I guess it just boils down to I think the large is more versatile.

I just bought a large green egg this weekend. well actually today on the way home from Kansas City. from all I have read and listened to I went with the large, Right or wrong I decided I just had to have one for the house.

oh one other thing Doc BBQ was cooking on one in KC on saturday and I really did not show to much emotion but I knew I had to have it. Ray is the best.

Bumping for current opinions on the matter.....

I'm considering this......again. :)

I have the large and when I cook for more than 4 people I wish I had the XL

The XL is a really nice cooker but it guzzles charcoal compared to the Akorn. It's actually pretty mind blowing. If you are only going to use it on the weekends, it's not going to matter but if you use it a lot then this is seriously something to think about.

I use my grills just about every day and I've found that even though it's annoying to need space and not have it, that's actually kind of rare. A typical family of 4 could get by just fine on a medium or small for 90-95 percent of their cooks...it's the other 5% that drives you crazy.

But if you have an XL and you only need the space 5% of the time, then 95% of the time you are sitting there thinking, "Wow, look at all that money...I mean, charcoal...I'm burning for no reason."

It's not just the costs but the hassle factor of lugging all that fuel home. managing the ash, etc. There is something to be said for matching the cooker to you needs and not not settling for more or less than you need.

Just My 2 cents.

I wrestled with this dilemna myself some time ago. I finally settled on the Large for the following reasons:

1. $699 on sale for the new model (longer handle).

2. Eggcessories seem to be more plentiful for the Large.

3. When I built my midi UDS (18.5"), I almost never used my bigger drum.

4. I figured that it would make more sense to buy a second egg at some point (maybe a Medium) for more space or keeping a different temp going e.g. cook steaks on one then move to another to sear or vice versa.

5. I heard that the XL can be a fuel hog.

I've been very happy with my LGBE so far.

I've never used a large but I do have the x-large. I wouldnt swap it for anything. I dont really see how it can use that much more lump if youy use it correctly. I shut mine down when I'm finished and reuse the leftovers next time. Also I sometimes just move the lump to one side and put the meat on the other side for a indirect cook without the plate setter. This works great for a reverse sear. I doubt you would have room in the large to do this.

It mainly just boils don to how many people you will be cooking for. On a normal night it's just me and my wife, a lot of times my youngest son, his wife and 2 kids will come over and during holidays as many as 16 could show up. With the x-large I can cover it all.

Almost forgot. Over the holidays we smoked a 20lb fresh ham. I filled it with lump when we started and 16 hours later when it was done I still had lump left and never added any during the cook. Thats pretty good if you ask me.

Thanks for all the opinions. I'm glad I found this site!

I should've added that one my families favorites are ribs. I prefer to lay them flat. I can only do three racks (one has to be smallish) this way on my Akorn.

The extra room sure would be nice.

yeah not sure how the XL is a fuel hog. I've ran mine at 250 degrees +/- for over 24 hours straight without adding any more lump.

There is a lump reducing ring you can buy which will help you "pile" a smaller load of lump in the center of the egg for smaller/quicker cooks, or as others pointed out, just move all the lump to one side of the egg.

I am happy I got the XL egg, you can make it smaller if you want, and you have the larger capacity when needed.

If you like ribs, and like laying them flat pick up the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill shop. I can get 6 spares or 9 baby backs on my XL with that tool. Its a rib cooking machine!

One thing has changed since this thread began back in 2008: the gap in accessories has closed. I'm having a hard time thinking of any accessory for the Lg that also doesn't exist for the XL.

As for saving lump, you can bank the lump to one side like this:
IMG_1440.jpg

Or just build a smaller pile in the center or use a reducing ring:
IMG_6993.jpg

Considering you have an Akorn, I would imagine you'd use it for smaller cooks.

If you just need more capacity for ribs you might see if the Adjustable Rig from the ceramicgrillstore would work in your Akorn and cook ribs on multiple tiers.

You will have to pry my XL out of my cold dead hands. I farking love that thing. I had the same dilemma before I went with the XL. My buddy sells them and he had the L on the truck on the way to my house when I had an epiphany, so I called him and told him to load up the XL instead. Best move I could've made.

Now that's just me and maybe I am burning a tad more lump than I would with a L. I don't care, #1 I've never cooked on a large so I don't have any basis of comparison so maybe that's for the best and #2 to me it's worth it to be able to use it without all those racks and stuff, maybe because I'm lazy. :tsk: I only have a plate setter and on occasion I use two bricks and the grate from my 22' kettle when I need an extra rack. I like to be able to go out and throw 4 racks of BB's right on the grate, or if I cook something in a pan I can get 2 half pans or 1 full disposable pan right on the grate. I'll bet with my second ghetto grate and 2 rib racks I could probably do 10 racks or more. I wanted to have something that had enough room to entertain and I've yet to find myself looking for more room.

Now that I look at this pic, I've actually had 2 racks of spares and 3 racks of BB's on there at once. I'm certain you could get this amount of meat on a large with some finagling, and someone will probably post some pics of just that. Which I encourage. It's nice to have all your options lined up for you.

IMG_2813.jpg

In the end you'll probably end up just like me after reading everyone's different opinions on the L vs. XL....even more confused. I guess you really can't go wrong with either one, you know unless you pick the wrong one. :p :crazy::loco::laugh:

When I bought my 50in. TV it only took me a week to wish I'd have spent the extra money and got the 55. Just sayin'.

I have had my large Egg for over ten years and love it. The only draw back is that it does not hold a ton of food. But with a grate extender to double up you can cook a fair amount at one time. It really depends on how much food you plan on cooking at a time. With the xl if you cook mostly for two or four people you will use a lot more lump versus cooking the same amount of food on the large.

Back