Last meal before heading to rehab... bacon jam

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
As if I needed another addiction, last week I made a small trial batch of BACON JAM based loosely on this recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-jam-463068

It turned out so great, today I jumped in the deep end head first with eight pounds of bacon for batch 2.0!

First off, the players for today's project:

6i44IE.jpg

Next off, a visit from a hopeful taste tester:

Nhf543.jpg

The resulting rejected and dejected outcome:

vcahm0.jpg

I didn't get any shots of frying the diced bacon or sweating the onions/garlic but I'm sure you can picture it yourself. Once that was all said and done though, everyone goes into the DO to simmer (pay no attention to the overripe bananas I didn't notice until after I posted the pic :tsk:):

eK3ZdP.jpg

And here we are a number of hours later:

qVc4FL.jpg

Once it cools, I'll jar it up for Christmas presents and then head out to the Betty Ford Clinic for another stint. Hope to be out in time for the holidays! :loco:

Last edited:
That HAS to be good!!!!
Those bananas are just the way I like them too.
Thanks for sharing......gotta try this.

I gotta have some of that now! Hoping that there rehab goes smooth for ya:spit:

Dang that looks great! I've been wanting to make this for ages, you may have just given me the final push.

Hope everything goes well at rehab, Mongo.

I'll PM you my address so you can send me some of that bacon jam for my holiday present. :mrgreen:

Oh, and here's a new avatar for you:

d280924f93d14b546cde6b8012ff3346_zpssb7h3dxl.jpg

:bow:

Thanks for all the kind words my brethren... I'll try to stay strong. :thumb:

BTW, do you think they would confiscate the black banana peels if I smuggle them in and smoke them in my room? :decision:

Might have to give this a go but overall with commercial "bacon xxxx" have been disappointed. Homemade is probably the ticket. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for all the kind words my brethren... I'll try to stay strong. :thumb:

BTW, do you think they would confiscate the black banana peels if I smuggle them in and smoke them in my room? :decision:

Not if you scrape the inside of the peels, then set it out to dry. You can take the dried powder and put it in some kind of inconspicuous container, and no one will be the wiser.

Of course, you will need a pipe to smoke it in, so that could be a bit of a problem...I'm thinking you can sidestep this whole thing and pick up a couple dozen packs of Mucinex DM, and you should be good to go! :loco:

Not if you scrape the inside of the peels, then set it out to dry. You can take the dried powder and put it in some kind of inconspicuous container, and no one will be the wiser.

Of course, you will need a pipe to smoke it in, so that could be a bit of a problem...I'm thinking you can sidestep this whole thing and pick up a couple dozen packs of Mucinex DM, and you should be good to go! :loco:

Wow Moose... I'm really touched. :wink: First the new avatar, then the peel advice and finally the DM hookup. You are a real alces alces among men! :mrgreen:

You may want to pack an orange or grapefruit. Don't know why but my friend really goes on a fruit binge when he goes away for a while.

Back