Yoder YS640 vs YS480

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm sold on the Yoder YS pellet cookers and I'm going to get one this spring. A buddy and I compete and I want to cook at least butts and briskets in it (maybe ribs too, after the big meats come out.)

We usually cook (1) 12lb-14lb packer (may be going to (2) of them), (2) 8lb-10lb butts, (3) racks of spares, and (16) thighs. We'll have this new cooker plus a couple of drums (one as a backup) at comps.

Can any Yoder owners give me an idea of how many packers, butts, and spares will fit in your 480s and 640s? I'd like to save some money if possible and the 480 is looking appetizing at $300 less.

Thanks,
Bret

The YS640 is only $200 more, so it's less than what you are thinking. Most people wish they has more space in their cooker, so for the $200 difference, I'd say do the YS640. Plus, you add the Variable Displacement Damper on the YS640 to control the pit temp side to side some what which is a plus if needed. You see a LOT of YS640's on the comp trail. The YS480 is a great cooker, but with all we spend for a SINGLE comp, what's $200 one time for extra space in your cooker?

I'd say get the YS640, because if you get the YS480, you will always wonder if you should have got the bigger cooker.

I had a little voice telling me that, but I'm glad you said it so I wouldn't base my decision on schizophrenia. :shocked: Thank you.

I may be PMing you for advice on it once I get it. :icon_bigsmil

Much appreciated,
Bret

I've owned a 640, very nice smoker and if you compare the square inches to price upgrade, it is worth it. The real debate should be whether the comp cart is worth the price! I would hate to be wheeling the 640 around a lot on just the normal casters.

Yeah, I've been looking at that too. There's a mod I saw on another board to put bigger wheels on the non-comp cart version. If I do that, I think I can get about everything I want for around $1550. The voices in my head are still debating.

Wife and I have had a 640 for just about 2 years, it is a better choice than the 480 for grill grate room in our opinion.

Give yourself some room, go with the 640 even if you think the 480 is enough... for the price difference you will be happier with your choice and being able to handle larger cooks in the long run.

I too had that conversation and went with the 640. 200 for a much bigger cooker with many more cooking options was a no brainier. The 480 is a nice cooker for an entry level backyard pooper but not for doing a whole competition. And definitely do the wheel mod or get a comp cart.

I had a little voice telling me that, but I'm glad you said it so I wouldn't base my decision on schizophrenia. :shocked: Thank you.

I may be PMing you for advice on it once I get it. :icon_bigsmil

Much appreciated,
Bret

You are welcome.

I'll be here when you are ready. :thumb:

Just to add a contrast of opinion, I own the 480 and I am very pleased with the choice. I have smoked at one time and not all together as many as 5 pork butts average weight of 9 lbs.; briskets that weigh between 11 and 14 lbs.; 2 whole chickens at one time; and 6 slabs of ribs. I have also used it to slow cook tri tip roasts along with chicken wings; potatoes and onions and bell peppers roasting along side.

When I keep the slow cook temperature between 225 and 250, I usually average 1.2 lbs. of pellets per hour. The unit is easy to clean, the defuser is easy to foil, and fire box and the igniter are easy to vacuum.

I really enjoy the 480 and it provides great value and service. The only thing that I regret is adding the grill grates which I have seasoned and never use. I prefer to grill on my Weber Kettle which I also use with my rotissierie and the kettlepizza attachment which my grandson loves.

Just for your information, I also have a stick burner, a Yoder Cheyenne which I enjoy for short cooks (5 to 7 hours) for ribs and chicken. It's fun to do.

As you can see, I am a big fan of Yoder and respect both their service and quality. I recently ordered a trailer mounted unit for my ranch in New Mexico and will stick with them as my smoker vendor.

If you choose the 640, or any other unit you will be very pleased. Buy what you want.

Ed

Much appreciated, Ed. If we weren't getting into comps this summer, I think I'd be going with the 480.
Thanks,
Bret

I have a 640, and wouldn't want anything smaller. To give you an idea of size, you can put 3 aluminum half steam table pans in it side by side, on each shelf. It is wall to wall. If you plan on taking it to comps, don't even think about the comp cart. it is a must! From reviews I have read, and moving mine on the comp cart, I have no regrets on paying the extra $$.

Exactly my thoughts too Josh. I've cooked 10 butts on my YS640 at one time.

I have owned both since 2014. Started w/ a YS480 in the beginning and then traded up for a YS640 last summer. Both cookers put out the same product. However, it is so much nicer to have the extra space. I feel like I can put a lot of meat on and have some cushion. On the YS480 I felt like it got packed way to quickly.

It's not my money, but if you can afford it definitely go YS640. You'll have nothing to regret.

I used my 640 at my restaurant and had it loaded all the time. You will not be able to get that much meat on the grill. With created scheduling you might be able to cook it all. If you are able to hold and rest your brisket and butts, you would be able to cook the ribs and chicken during the rest. Doing the 2 racks of spare ribs takes up one shelf.

Here are two pictures of my YS640 filled but with room for more.
tI4XMmul.jpg

4 half racks of baby backs, 4 fatties, 5 bratwurst, 10 wings, and 1 veal ribeye.

hqASZ5ol.jpg

4 full racks of baby backs, 2 Boston butts (about 8 lbs each), and a pan full of drumettes.

Definitely go with the YS640. The adjustable baffle and extra space is well worth the few extra hundred dollars. The cooker is a tank and puts out some very good Q!

Just to add a contrast of opinion, I own the 480 and I am very pleased with the choice. I have smoked at one time and not all together as many as 5 pork butts average weight of 9 lbs.; briskets that weigh between 11 and 14 lbs.; 2 whole chickens at one time; and 6 slabs of ribs. I have also used it to slow cook tri tip roasts along with chicken wings; potatoes and onions and bell peppers roasting along side.

When I keep the slow cook temperature between 225 and 250, I usually average 1.2 lbs. of pellets per hour. The unit is easy to clean, the defuser is easy to foil, and fire box and the igniter are easy to vacuum.

I really enjoy the 480 and it provides great value and service. The only thing that I regret is adding the grill grates which I have seasoned and never use. I prefer to grill on my Weber Kettle which I also use with my rotissierie and the kettlepizza attachment which my grandson loves.

Just for your information, I also have a stick burner, a Yoder Cheyenne which I enjoy for short cooks (5 to 7 hours) for ribs and chicken. It's fun to do.

As you can see, I am a big fan of Yoder and respect both their service and quality. I recently ordered a trailer mounted unit for my ranch in New Mexico and will stick with them as my smoker vendor.

If you choose the 640, or any other unit you will be very pleased. Buy what you want.

Ed

Ed! Have been searching for you on Pelletheads for literally years and so glad to see you are alive and well. Your detailed ys480 review meant a great deal to me then and so sorry to see you were berated for it. That big bad wolf who wrote those unkind things was eventually kicked off and it’s a tolerant spot again.

Back to the subject, I’m glad to have the space of the ys640 and like the bottom shelf only the standard cart offers. Needed the shelf more than easier mobility.

I haven’t found the variable damper to be much use however. Yoder is recommending to run wide open and I predict it will eventually be eliminated.

Back