I 20 corridor safe stay spots.

Blythewood BBQ'er

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Wife and are are tentatively think about heading to the Texas fall bash if we can get it off, but I was wondering about a safe stopping place along the way. We will be staying in our travel trailer maybe one night along the way possibly somewhere. I was just wondering if there are some places that would be less sketchy than others to stop for the night. I may just knuckle down and drive it straight but want to plan a nap somewhere in case I have to work the day we would leave out. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

If I'm not mistaken Dave did this last year, hopefully he'll chime in. I don't know how safe it is but there is always the Toast hacienda!

If I'm not mistaken Dave did this last year, hopefully he'll chime in. I don't know how safe it is but there is always the Toast hacienda!

We are planning on attending and I would typically run out on I-10, but if anyone is interested in a convoy I’m game to jump up to I-20. As far as where to stay, I find state parks and traditional KOA/Good Sam campgrounds to have good hookups, be safe and reasonable. There is also a lot online about Cracker Barrel and Walmarts being RV friendly for overnights if you talk with the store managers in advance but of course there are no service hookups. FYI, reservations at Live Oak Ridge open up on 4/26 and I would suggest an early reservation. I’m planning on Thursday through Saturday nights (leaving Sunday) but I’m open to a different schedule.

When we go out to the DFW area we drop down to I-10 and the up the Interstate (I-49?) that angles up to Shreveport and catch I-20. We used to make the trip in one long haul but have started overnighting around Covington LA. As far as campers at Wally-World, we are on I-75 here and it's not uncommon to see 6-8 set up in the parking lot early in the AM.

Thanks guys! Sorry about the pm dave should have checked first. Our plan is to leave out Wednesday and leave Texas Sunday also. I googled rv parks along I 20 and got alot of hits. I too have read alot about the cracker barrel/walmart rv friendly stops but I worry about someone snatching my drum and a few other items I will be carrying in the bed. I do have a tonneau cover but I can't cover the drum with it. I worry I wouldn't get much rest there. Wendy says the dates aren't reserved for time off so she should be good to go. I can pretty much get any time off as long as none of my coworkers have reserved it. I plan on turning in a request this week.

Cracker barrel sounds nice! Breakfast before we hit the road again. Most of them kinda out of view from deviants!

When we go out to the DFW area we drop down to I-10 and the up the Interstate (I-49?) that angles up to Shreveport and catch I-20. We used to make the trip in one long haul but have started overnighting around Covington LA. As far as campers at Wally-World, we are on I-75 here and it's not uncommon to see 6-8 set up in the parking lot early in the AM.

That is how we go if we are headed to DFW or points north. Thinking this trip it would be better to run I-10 to Beaumont then cut NW towards Belton.

We’ve stayed the night at a couple of Walmart lots. You’re typically surrounded by trucks.

BUT... I have read reports that Walmart is no longer allowing overnight stays, so if you are thinking about doing that, check into it ahead of time.

I stayed in many truck stop lots when I was traveling with my camper and needed sleep. If you are worrying about security of items in your bed, I know I would personally feel a lot more comfortable in an RV park. Even if you find the cheapest one along the route, it would likely be more secure than a Walmart/FlyingJ/Cracker Barrel.

We’ve stayed the night at a couple of Walmart lots. You’re typically surrounded by trucks.

BUT... I have read reports that Walmart is no longer allowing overnight stays, so if you are thinking about doing that, check into it ahead of time.

Was at our local WalMart about 630 this morning, early Sunday morning is the best time to shop, you're usually the only crazy person there, there were half a dozen or so campers set up in the parking lot. It may be coming but hasn't been implemented here yet.

Was at our local WalMart about 630 this morning, early Sunday morning is the best time to shop, you're usually the only crazy person there, there were half a dozen or so campers set up in the parking lot. It may be coming but hasn't been implemented here yet.

The ambiance ain’t great but when you are on the road trying to make time they can be pretty convenient. It is always good to call or at least ask the manager of any of these spots. Never been turned down, but some municipalities/local governments have ordinances prohibiting overnighting at business. As far as safety, the MH is not only locked up pretty tight with good video surveillance but I’m always locked-n-loaded too.

Ugg I can't stand that drive down I20 from Texas to the east. That being said, Wal Mart or Truck Stops are usually ok places to stop. YMMMV though.

All the states along the south has the speed limit at 70. Then you hit Texas and every farking driver think they are on the speedway when it goes up to 75. I'd be going 80 and people are still passing me.

Aside from the invites already sent, I can offer this. It took me 16 hours to drive straight through from Charleston SC. to Shreveport LA. back in 1978. About 1000 miles. Speed limits were lower then. 55 I think although I was not doing them. Alot younger back then in a 68 Camaro with a U-Haul one wheel motorcycle towbar. Have not been points East down 20 in quite sometime. We've got 75 mph in LA. too some spots even along I-20.

Back