will you still do smoking in north winter when cold windy snowing

woodpelletsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If you live in north of American, will you still do smoking in winter.

I am thinking to build a canvas tent, fire retardant, rain proof.
Built with high quanlity alluminum alloy pole, say diameter 33mm, wall thickness 1.5mm, alloy series of 6000 or 7000 which is for aeroplane.

The tent will be 6 feet wide, 8 feet long, 8 feet tall. The frame will be constructed by 12 pieces of alloy pole/pipe. Please find http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x40-party...134891?hash=item43ef920c6b:g:fi4AAOSwn8FXR2PL as a reference.

I expect price around US$500. Will you need it.

I smoke all year, including when we had 3' of snow in VA last year. Had the kids dig a patch to my smoker and lit it up :)

I dont get the snow that north of me does, but a shack makes sense! Maybe look at building one out of wood and a metal roof that can stand up to some additional weight of snow and ice?

A pic to show an example:

8402d3366041a79f132aa81ce43afbc3.jpg

My smoker is too thin walled to stand up to mid-winter temps. But we keep on grilling until we can't physically get to the grills anymore.

I don't have any sort of shelter and I cook year round and, for some reason, love cooking during snowstorms. I used to do so on my WSMs and now either use my Humphrey's Battle Box, which holds temps perfectly even in the strongest winds, or my OK Joe offset.

If I recall, there is at least one person on this forum who cooks in the negative temps of the Alaska winter.

We cook all winter. Something temporary, that stores easily, can handle the weight of snow/weather, looks simple....That would be attractive.

I love cooking in the Winter no matter if a blizzard or below zero...absolutely love it.

Amen Brother. My buddies (and even my wife sometimes) think I'm nuts cooking in a snow storm....until I feed them of course. Plus....winter time is cheese smoking time.....

These are my 2 Kettles prior to firing them up for some football pulled pork and smoking some horseradish cheddar...

Last edited:
Hoping to get an electric vertical smoker for my birthday....which is in December. Hoping that will give me a better chance of keeping my season going all year round.

I grill and smoke year round. Having an insulated cooker regardless of it being a vertical or offset will help. Also, I cook more on my BGE than my weber in winter.

I'm probably one of the farther north people on this site (excluding the people in the twin cities or northern WI), and I just rough it. I don't have a shack for my cooker or anything like that. I just throw on a sweatshirt and slip on boots, head out and check my meat and throw a couple of logs on the fire, head back in and drink some coffee or whiskey :) Now, if I COULD have a nice cookshack that was warm that I could sit in while I smoked some tasty meat I would definitely do it.

I use my pellet grill in the winter, I keep it in the garage and roll it out when I use it. I plan to use it all winter. In fact the pellet pooper is my winter machine, my Webers will be stored for the winter.

There is no "off season" for smoking as far as I'm concerned.
I live in Central Indiana, so it's not as bad as some, but I've still cooked in temps well below freezing and during snow storms.

I've wrapped a blanket/canvas tarp around thin walled smokers to help retain heat but what I've done in recent years is just set up an EZ-Up canopy with walls on 2-3 sides (usually the south and west facing sides where the wind comes from) to keep the snow/rain/wind off. There's plenty of room in that tent for my chimney starter, smoker(s) and prep table.

This was from 2011 a few days after we had our big blizzard in the Chicago area. All we need around here is a shovel to get to the smoker/grill and a snow brush to clear it off a bit if there's too much snow on it.

The old Cookshack is now retired and taking it easy in Arizona on my daughters balcony.

Attachments

• SmokerSnow.jpg
    SmokerSnow.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 246
One of the reason i got a Humphrey's smoker. We go year round. Just takes it a bit longer to get up to temp., but once it is there it is rock solid.

Back