30x48 or 24x48 offset smoker advantages

Jam Jam

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of having a smoker built by bellfab, but I'm curious if there is any advantage to having a 30x48 offset compared to a 24x48 other than sheer volume?

This is for my backyard no competitions are planned in the near future so I don't need anything that would be trailer mounted.

My pit is still in the planning stages so your opinions could sway which direction I go....

Other than volume, i can't think of any advantage except for the overall size of the top grate. Mine is 24x48 and i have plenty of room. I'm also a backyard guy. Maybe some other folks will have some input.

Craig is a great guy to work with. Please tell him I said, hello.

I would go through and pick all my options that "are must haves" and after that if the upcharge for a 30" was feasible...I would jump all over it. One thing to consider is that stepping up to a 30" smoker would normally require a larger fire box....I think....I'm not a pit builder.

-D

Other than volume, i can't think of any advantage except for the overall size of the top grate. Mine is 24x48 and i have plenty of room. I'm also a backyard guy. Maybe some other folks will have some input.

Craig is a great guy to work with. Please tell him I said, hello.

He definitely seems laid back and very knowledgeable. I'll let him know you said hello

I would go through and pick all my options that "are must haves" and after that if the upcharge for a 30" was feasible...I would jump all over it. One thing to consider is that stepping up to a 30" smoker would normally require a larger fire box....I think....I'm not a pit builder.

-D
Honestly his standard build hits all my requirements. My concerns are will the 30x48 be too cumbersome to move around the yard and if the depth will yield any true advantage beyond using a seconday warming rack.

Planning on cooking whole hogs? If so the 30" will be much easier. If not the 24" will do fine.

Do you ever plan on doing whole hog? I think I've seen threads that the 30" rack works better for that but I'm not positive.

I don't have any plans to do whole hogs, so perhaps the 30x48 would be overkill.

It is a 24x48 CC. The FB is 22x20. There is a flat top warming plate on the FB. It is used to warm sauce/glaze, etc. and to pre-heat splits for better ignition. The FB has a standard air vent at the bottom. I had a smaller vent put in at the top of the end to add additional air flow into the CC. There is a grilling rack in the FB and a charcoal basket. The basket holds the coal bed and splits together for better burning. From the FB to the CC is a baffle about 8" into the CC with a downward tilt to turn the heat and smoke down. From there, I have a Horizon type convection plate for heat distribution. On the far end of the CC is a 1-1/2" drain outlet. The exhaust leaves the CC just above the main grate. There is an upper grate about 10" deep.

I have (4) 1/2" threaded outlets for therms. Two are just above the lower grate at either end and two just above the upper grate in the center of the doors. On the end of the CC just above the main grate is a 1/2" threaded outlet. I have put an electrical service entrance connector (a couple of bucks at Lowe's). This is where I put my probes for the meat therm.

That's the basic layout. Blow up the pic in my avatar. It will be a little fuzzy, but you can see the therms, doors, etc. If you have any specific questions, or need any other information, just let me know.

I have had my Bell for 2 years and I love it. It heats well, draws well, and holds heat well. Craig is a great guy and will bend over backward to give you everything that you want.

I sincerely hope that your smoker turns out like you want it and that you get excellent meat from her. Joe

I currently cook on a 24 X 36 and could easily cook for more people than I know. Not sure a 30 is necessary other than a "nice to have".

Ive got a top rack in mine. At 24 inches, it can be a pain getting meat situated towards the back of the cooker when the top rack is in and loaded.

If you went 30 inches, and had a full top rack, you might have trouble reaching back there to grab or rotate meats.

This is assumming that your racks wouldnt slide out though.

Unless you plan on using the space, id stick with 24. Less volume to have to clean as well.

All good points, I'm leaning more towards the 24. It sounds like it's going to do everything I need and then some. Especially since the chargriller I cut my teeth on is less than half its size.

I'm just coming from the measure twice cut once frame of mind. I'm sure I'll miss something but this is my first custom pit so I'm trying to account for any changes I'll want in advance.

I have both and rarely use the 24". In part due to the insulated firebox on the 30" and I would definitely consider that option if it is available. The main advantage of the larger diameter, however, is the spacing between the shelves. I have to remove the upper shelf on the 24" if cooking whole turkeys or large packer briskets and the loss of available cooking space is obvious. I've said it before and stand by the assertion that it's far easier to do a small cook in a big cooker than the reverse. If you can move it and it's within your budget, I doubt you'd be sorry if you went a little larger.

Those are good points as well, I think I'll go with the 24x48 if I need bigger down the road I'll look at a trailer rig but that would be a while from now.

Side note today was over 30 so I put three slabs of St Louis style ribs on to celebrate!

Back