Jah love and pappy

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Marinating chicken thighs in jah love jerk overnight per directions , have a few glasses of pappy 15yr watching the playoffs.

What's a good wood to use with the jah love jerk? I have fruit woods then some sugar maple and hickory

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 318
It's real deal with pimento wood but what you've got goin sounds really good. I like the idea of mixing hickory w/ fruitwood.

I usually make my own mix but how do you like that one?

I've never used the jah love jerk , 1st time

Yeah I love pappy it's no joke , have the 12year and 2 bottle of the 15 year. Hoping next year to get the 20 or 23

I used some white oak (post oak) chunks over some Stubbs on some Jah Love thighs last week. It was some of the best tasting chicken I ever had.

How long did you marinate ? I'll be going 15-20 hrs unless. I cook t early in the day and have for lunch

How long did you marinate ? I'll be going 15-20 hrs unless. I cook t early in the day and have for lunch

I marinated mine about 24 hours. Then cooked them hot and fast around the Vortex in my kettle. Dome temp was 550 and it took 45 minutes to get the thighs to 165 IT

I marinated mine about 24 hours. Then cooked them hot and fast around the Vortex in my kettle. Dome temp was 550 and it took 45 minutes to get the thighs to 165 IT

That seems like a long time ? Why would it take 45 min at over 500 degree?

Finished product. , I like it a lot ! Def has a little heat to go with it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 191
That seems like a long time ? Why would it take 45 min at over 500 degree?
I was using the Vortex. The chicken was around the outside of the grate. The dome shows really hot with the Vortex because the cone is concentrating the heat upward. By the time the heat circles back down to the grate it is much less hot. I don't have an IR therm so I'm not sure of the temp around the outside of the grate. My guess would be somewhere around 300ish. There is nowhere near as much sizzle when you put the meat on as there would be if you cook direct with the same dome temp. This link shows how the indirect high heat works. Pics show wings but I did the same thing with the Jah Love thighs this time.

http://vortexbbq.com/about/#indirect-direct

Nice score on the Pappy! It's hard to notice anything else with such a fine libation in the picture. I'm sure the chicken, ribs or beef...whatever went well with it. :mrgreen:

I added some A1 with Jan Love and marinated some wings it was excellent.

Back