What would Adams do?

Norm

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Trying to make a decent version of Texas chili tonight. Still a sheet of ice here so I'm stuck indoors after feeding the critters. Wish I'd bought more of the hatch peppers so I could only afford one for this dish.

i-xhL3cGV-XL.jpg

I used ground chuck and some round steak I tenderized and chopped up. Chopped up an onion and added a couple of diced garlic cloves.

i-p7JPNVk-XL.jpg

Added in some medium heat ground chili powder, cayenne, mexican oregano, and cummin.

i-L7swncP-XL.jpg

Got it simmering on the stove for a couple of hours but somehow it just doesn't seem like it's right. Did I miss anything?

Looks dang good to me... I'm an Arizona boy so the only thing missing is some beans. Yeah I know it's not Texas Chili if its got beans.

Norm, you forget the S&P??:p:laugh:

Maybe a little more chili powder, cumin, white pepper and garlic salt.??

I'd lid it and let it simmer a bit more. Add cumin toward the end.

Let's see- salt pepper onion garlic oregano cumino chili powder- half a beer- green chile- jalapeño ground and/or chunked meat- roasted tomatoes or tomato sauce or Rotel tomatoes if desired, maybe a teaspoon of white vinegar.

Texas Red-no beans
Stew- beans

Honestly I like them both.
Have fun- IMHO as long as it's savory- not sweet you win.

If it tastes as good as it looks you've already won.

Some good ideas, wish I had some Rotel tomatoes.

Thank you!

A Texan Hack- if you like the subtle taste of beans in your chili but don't want a Texan to see the magical fruit- just stir in some Texas Humus-Fritos Bean Dip

I like beans in my chili Usually put in 4 kinds- Black, white chili beans and fancy red kidney beans
Looks good to me Norm Stay safe

Normally I'm like you George about having beans in my chili but I've got a Texas gal visiting and I'm trying to make her feel at home.

Looking good, Norm, and solid suggestions here. One trick I picked up years ago for a soup, stew or chili that includes diced onion is put half the onions in at the beginning and the remainder near the end. The half put in near the end will retain a lot more flavor and texture themselves, while the ones put in at the start will help season the whole dish.

Back