Lets talk trailers with porches

Those do look to be high grade for sure. I like the steel diamondplate deck on the porch.

In my experience there are two types of BBQ trailer builders - those that come from the utility cargo market and those from the RV market. The cargo plants build a much less expensive unit, but the RV plants use higher quality materials and finish levels, with a correspondingly higher price.

All depends on what you're looking for, like anything else.

Is freedom what you have?

Yes I have a 20' porch trailer. I love it but there are a lot of imperfections that you have to be ok with or it will drive you mad. I bought to beat on at comps and it serves that purpose well.

We have a 5x8 enclosed trailer that we pack an insane amount of stuff into, our barbecue friends call it the "clown car" when they see us loading/unloading seemingly impossible amounts of stuff. After awards at our last contest, they jokingly expressed concern that we wouldn't have enough room to get our trophy home.

While our little trailer does the job, we really want a porch trailer so we can focus more on barbecue and way less on setup/breakdown.

We got ours from WOW via South Georgia Cargo Trailers. Built just like the Freedom Trailers and a lot of things that were not right with the finished unit. But, we have made adjustments, fixed things (nothing major), done some work on the inside, and for now, happy with what we have. 24' (16' enclosed, 8' porch) trailer with 13,500BTU AC with heating strip, RV (screen) type doors and V-nose. I'll try and post some pics. Paid $7,000.00 even. Purchased through WOW Trailers, but they subb'ed it out to South Georgia Cargo Trailers. You can go to the SGCT web site and price out a trailer for yourself as they have all of the options listed and priced.

Best of luck.

wallace(Don)

We got ours from WOW via South Georgia Cargo Trailers. Built just like the Freedom Trailers and a lot of things that were not right with the finished unit. But, we have made adjustments, fixed things (nothing major), done some work on the inside, and for now, happy with what we have. 24' (16' enclosed, 8' porch) trailer with 13,500BTU AC with heating strip, RV (screen) type doors and V-nose. I'll try and post some pics. Paid $7,000.00 even. Purchased through WOW Trailers, but they subb'ed it out to South Georgia Cargo Trailers. You can go to the SGCT web site and price out a trailer for yourself as they have all of the options listed and priced.

Best of luck.

wallace(Don)
certainly would love to see pics

I don't have a porch trailer (yet), but I do have an enclosed trailer. One thing to take into consideration is the climate that you live in. Having a trailer built by a company north of Georgia, I believe will yield a better built trailer. I purchased my trailer last year. It's a Georgia trailer made by Horton Hauler. It is 4 years old and I am the 3rd comp team to own it. I looked under it for the first time the other day and noticed some rust holes in the frame. I understand it's 4 years old, but these are big holes. Sometimes the impulse buy comes back to haunt you.

I don't have a porch trailer (yet), but I do have an enclosed trailer. One thing to take into consideration is the climate that you live in. Having a trailer built by a company north of Georgia, I believe will yield a better built trailer. I purchased my trailer last year. It's a Georgia trailer made by Horton Hauler. It is 4 years old and I am the 3rd comp team to own it. I looked under it for the first time the other day and noticed some rust holes in the frame. I understand it's 4 years old, but these are big holes. Sometimes the impulse buy comes back to haunt you.

To me, a trailer that is only 4 years old but has been owned by 2 other teams speaks volumes. Must be something or somethings wrong with it.

Here are some pics of my trailer. I'll post these as I find them, so they are at different stages of us finishing the inside. These were after I had pulled the 3/8" plywood off, installed R-6 insulation board and started painting a coat of outdoor paint. I had also run some electrical wiring as well.

If you look at the pics of the roof AC unit, you will see the poor welding job they did as the support bars as sticking down past the roof rib bars. I had to have someone re-weld those so I could get 1/8" plywood up on the roof.

wallace(Don)

Attachments

• trailer 1.jpg
    trailer 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 293
  • trailer 3.jpg
    trailer 3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 292
  • trailer 4.jpg
    trailer 4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 291
  • trailer 5.jpg
    trailer 5.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 289
  • trailer 6.jpg
    trailer 6.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 290
  • trailer 7.jpg
    trailer 7.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 294
That's why many times low bid is just that: Low Bid poor quality crap. It's also why a Yoder costs more than other smokers. Looks like you will get that trailer all fixed up and working like a champ. Good on ya Bro. :thumb:

More pics; FRP going up.

wallace(Don)

Attachments

• trailer 8.jpg
    trailer 8.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 284
  • trailer 10.jpg
    trailer 10.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 281
  • trailer 11.jpg
    trailer 11.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 283
  • trailer 12.jpg
    trailer 12.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 283
  • trailer 13.jpg
    trailer 13.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 283
  • trailer 14.jpg
    trailer 14.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 284
  • trailer 9.jpg
    trailer 9.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 279
I also installed a 120volt AC / 12volt DC power panel to get 12volts for lighting, car stereo, etc...

The flooring is the same stuff DivaQ used in her old trailer. That thread is somewhere on this forum. Got the stuff from SAMs on line. pretty darn good stuff and really reasonable price. Heavy as you know what!!!

wallace(Don)

I will be in the market for a new trailer for '15. Just sold the hail trailer. Not going to extravagant, as we will only do contests in the immediate area, maybe 5 or 6. (Have recreational river cabin that didn't get much use last year). I had a 14x7 enclosed trailer that we built ourselves. May go alittle bigger this time. It was a Sharp, built in Wichita. Very well built. Tandem, undercoated pulled like a dream.

As a Georgian, I take offense at the generalization that Yankee trailers are somehow inherently of higher quality then those built in our state.

Yes, it is true that there are manufacturers who build very affordable cargo trailers here. Most are destined for only a few years of duty for folks who don't want to rent a UHaul for a move, or a hard life with contractors and landscapers. The trouble comes when a customer expects one of these light-duty models to perform like an RV-grade unit selling for three times the price. Saying a $12,000 trailer is better than a $3,500 trailer is like saying a BMW is better than a Hyundai.

Compare apples to apples, not apples to onions.

Found a couple from when we first picked it up in Pearson, GA. There are a couple of sites and manufactures that are almost the same name.

We got ours from here: http://www.southgeorgiacargo.org/

I know a lot of folks say they are bad, but so far, we are satisfied. Like I always say, "It could be worse!"

This is at the factory.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 176
Forest River/ Work and Play make BBQ Trailers.
Warren County Pork Choppers just received theirs and had it at the Jack.
Very Nice unit.

Back