Help with Redi Check

skimo

Reaction score
I've done two smokes in my uds with a regular thermometer which turned out good. Well today I tried out my new Redi Check and it's reading about 100 degrees different. Is this normal? I have all the 3/4 inch valves closed and 2 inch exhaust open and it's reading over 300 degrees.

I'm wondering if I should just trust my dial thermometer and see how the ribs turn out. Could the digital thermometer probe be wrong?

Check it in boiling water - don't get it wet where wire/probe meet then check ice water.

100* difference seems high but the center of UDS will be 50-60* hotter than the outer edge of grate without a difusser or water pan and 20-30* hotter with one. Also is it at same height from charcoal basket as Dial Thermo?

No the Redi Check is actually on the grill so probably a couple inch difference as well as in the center. I had problems this morning with it reading HHH but it seemed to calm down and was reading sorta close to the dial. Out of know where the temp spiked on the digital but stayed the same on the dial.

I had the same exact problem with mine on a overnight cook this past weekend. It would be reading with my dial than go 50 to 100 degrees above or below what my dial was reading in less than a minutes time. I haven't had a chance to check it in boiling water but im pretty sure its a bad probe. Worst part is its only my second time using the thing

Just asking, but by "on the grill" you don't mean touching the grate, do you?

No it's on the grill with the little attachment it came with, it holds it off the grate itself.

What's the best replacement probe if that seems to be the issue? I'll contact the company first and see what they can do since today was the first time it was out of the box but I would like a good set of back up probes.

I fail to see a problem except for he one you're creating>" I've done two smokes in my uds with a regular thermometer which turned out good." if it aint Broke don't fix it!

I fail to see a problem except for he one you're creating>" I've done two smokes in my uds with a regular thermometer which turned out good." if it aint Broke don't fix it!

Well one was a pork butt the other a pork tenderloin both of which are pretty forgiving. I got a digital thermometer to dial in to exact temps so I can have a better consistency especially when I start cooking for more people.

This ^

If it was working fine, you're good to go. Don't obsess. Add 50 degrees to your dial and cook on. You can smoke any meat at pretty much any temp. It will just affect how long it takes.

If you got HHH it usually points to a bad probe. When they start going bad the temps can be super erratic and way off the mark. Do you have the leads crimped? Going between the lid and barrel or hanging down near the fire? If you just bought it and are having this issue, call maverick, they'll replace it for free. Also, try using your meat probe for grill temp, just to see if they match up. Both work fine for meat or air temp.

On my probes that have got wet and they read 100 some degrees off. I placed them in a warm oven till the read the same 250. My theroy is that the little bit of water inside makes them read funny. After drying out for around 20 minutes they have read fine. Some of these i have had for a year or better.

Back