I love FREE Pecan.......

BobBrisket

Reaction score
A while back, my buddy and I scored some free pecan:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180340&highlight=Pecan

SO.....they are pruning again. Since they have cut back on the release of irrigation water from the Rio Grande, they now have more time/dry ground to leave the pruned stuff on the ground for people to take before they need to gather it up into the huge burn piles. I'm going tomorrow and again on Saturday. Hope to get enough to fill my rack and give some to my Dad and Brother too. Called the guy today and he said there is 20 acres worth of downed stuff. 10 truck loads full came out today and they didn't even make a dent in the wood! I hope it's fer real!
http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/zip/4426850276.html

He just placed the ad yesterday, so there should be tons left! I'll post more pron later!

Awesome score! I am in the BBQ wasteland that is Northern MN, but I received some education from a few old salts down in Texas that burned Pecan in their pits. It is so good with many different meats. I envy your find. Best of luck in getting a few truckloads!

I have a similar in at an apple orchard and I swear that free wood adds better flavor. :-D

Hey Bob, are those "native" pecans (wild) or domestic hybrids? I used to have access to some native pecan wood when I lived in Victoria, and it made some awesome smoking fuel. Mix in some mesquite and watch the neighbors start circling the wagon waiting for an invite! Great score, and I hope you get all you can haul.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

Update! Didn't get to make a second trip, but here are some pics. They never prune this late in the year. What happened was that the house and land got repossessed, so they were in the process of cleaning it up to sell. That's why there some good sized stuff out there because they hadn't pruned those trees in a LONG time.
Had a fun time out there with my son. He was manning the pruning shears and skinning the large limbs!:becky:
WP_20140418_001_zpsed6b50fd.jpg

WP_20140418_002_zps175bebfc.jpg

Water break!
WP_20140418_003_zps9f3549c2.jpg

20 Acres worth of land and pecan trees.
WP_20140418_004_zpsa0ab1671.jpg

WP_20140418_006_zps76324edb.jpg

All cut. Dad's wood stash.:becky: Lots of mulberry in there.
WP_20140418_009_zps43197896.jpg

Had to restack my stash. Some big rounds from last time for chunk making.
WP_20140419_001_zps658bc1d5.jpg

Finally, a full rack!:thumb:
WP_20140419_002_zpsfaf03227.jpg

Hey Bob, are those "native" pecans (wild) or domestic hybrids? I used to have access to some native pecan wood when I lived in Victoria, and it made some awesome smoking fuel. Mix in some mesquite and watch the neighbors start circling the wagon waiting for an invite! Great score, and I hope you get all you can haul.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

Not wild, but I don't know if they are native or hybrids. There are LOTS of pecan farms in this area and close by in NM too. LOTS of pecan 'round these parts!
I got a bit of skeet. Will give that a try!:thumb:

Back